Garmin GPSMap wanted.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig Iron

Steve Jones
Reaction score
Garmin GPSMap 62s or 64s preferred models but open to others. Need to ensure I can get back to the car.

mate if it helps i use one of these BUSHNELL BACKTRACK 3 POINT MINI cost me $99.99 posted i belive they have gone up in price
works every time never missed the car yet

Interesting thanks Marksman - Does it allow you to pinpoint finds - Not that there are that many.

no not it gives you 3 points eg car -- river crossing
its only for returning to you start point
if you need to pinpoint finds then you will have to go with the garmin
i have one of them to but never used since i got the back tracker

Pig Iron said:
Garmin GPSMap 62s or 64s preferred models but open to others. Need to ensure I can get back to the car.

Shonkymaps will give you all you need ....................... FREE

you could have it but a mate has got first grab
he asked before going on holidays so i lent it to him to see how he goes
not due back for a week yet
if he dosent want it then its yours

Pig Iron said:
Thanks Bogger but what does it run on..

Shonky maps runs on Garmin ....................... have been using it on a 64S for over 12 months
In saying that but even the base map you should be able to just mark your waypoint as car when you arrive then meander around at your will and just select goto and select waypoint .................. you can then use either map page or I find when in the scrub compass page is best and easiest to direct you back.
Important to get pretty proficient at using what ever device you use or choose as they can lose you almost as easily as they can aid you ;)
Full instructions on how to load maps direct to unit or onto sd card
http://shonkylogic.net/shonkymaps/

Hi Is this Shonky Maps still working? I keep getting a Corrupt file error message.
Cheers,
Paul

paul_mac1 said:
Hi Is this Shonky Maps still working? I keep getting a Corrupt file error message.
Cheers,
Paul

Yes ..................... you will find that the file name isn't being recognized by the Garmin.
You will have to work out which file and make sure the prefix before file name is correct. Also think you can get this message after you load a certain file size ? Bottom line is it's the file name that is issue ..................... had the same problem until I worked it out especially after I worked the map file in Base camp

If you have a smart phone, hema explorer app which is $35 will give you basic mapping and you can drop flags where you want to go back to at a later date.
Honestly the track database is terrible, but if you are not using it to 4wd in remote areas, then it will do you just fine. And the added advantage it's in the phone you already carry, but it's really only any good if you have a big touch screen (i reckon). Just make sure you charge up fully before venturing out as the screen on will draw a lot of power when on foot unplugged.

Edit, here is the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.hemamaps.explorer&hl=en
It's actually $30.99

Occasional_panner said:
If you have a smart phone, hema explorer app which is $35 will give you basic mapping and you can drop flags where you want to go back to at a later date.
Honestly the track database is terrible, but if you are not using it to 4wd in remote areas, then it will do you just fine. And the added advantage it's in the phone you already carry, but it's really only any good if you have a big touch screen (i reckon). Just make sure you charge up fully before venturing out as the screen on will draw a lot of power when on foot unplugged.

Edit, here is the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.hemamaps.explorer&hl=en
It's actually $30.99

Thanks for that idea.
I also do 4x4ing, and have a 10" Android tablet with Memory Maps installed, I might put it on my phone and use that instead, its easy to put waypoints and tracks on.
Thanks again,
Paul

Northeast said:
Yep, I use HEMA maps too. Why carry a gps when you have gps enabled phone in your pocket already? Works great :Y:

That really depends on the just where your going I think ;) Most smart phones cease to work when they even smell water a designated quality GPS will work in water and in most cases still work after being dropped, sat on and bounced around. A friends phone screen shattered whilst sitting on the kitchen table the other night :rolleyes: Again depending on where you plan on detecting .................. remote areas you are talking about some thing you may rely on to save your life.
Adelaide hills recently the traffic noise drove me nuts ........................... my usual areas of detecting you could walk for a week without seeing a road much less a car. Personally I'd rather forget my phone in camp than my compass as they don't go flat or fail :Y:
Each to their own all I am saying is don't under estimate how important navigation can be once in true remote areas and equip yourself accordingly :Y:

Good point Bogger, I always have a paper map, compass and a PLB, the new ones are very small and light.
A lot of phones are water resistant these days too. Mine is meant to be water proof, never been game to test it though.

paul_mac1 said:
Cheers,
Paul

Make sure you load all your maps in Garmin Base Camp. You can do any pre conversions and save. Just load via the software. I had a few issues with a large file GE but was able to break it down a bit which worked fine. Tip - Select tenement you want then save file .kml/kmz then put in software it will convert to track :) You can then know to keep out or in depending on your circumstances.

Good point bogger - it really does depend on where you're going and what you'll be doing. I am just poking around Victoria and if I walk 5 k's in most directions I'll hit a road anyway.

Going remote would be a different story. Although we have travelled extensively around Australia and with 2 iPhones and an iPad (we were confident all 3 wouldn't die :) ) HEMA maps was what we used for navigation on a lot of the back roads. Again though, we were always on roads and could always back track. Never went bushwalking miles into scrub - hard with 3 kids in tow :rolleyes:

In the end, probably best not to put all your eggs in 1 system and if going to true woop woop take an epirb as well :Y:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts