full moon hunting at Altona pier yesterday

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
haven't been out much lately, took the CTX3030 out to Altona beach last night at low tide, got in as far as I could go. Most of the finds come from under the pier.
Not much to find either side of the pier, the sand looks like it's moved in or someone else is sweeping the beach fairly regularly.

First time I've ever found a statue - looks like it's made of tin. Other lead objects dropped close together, and there's a whole bunch more still there I think.

* also a woman approached me telling me she'd just lost her gold ring with Chinese markings on it. Apparently she walked in knee high, bent over to wash her hands (just finished an ice cream) and it slid off. This happened 50 meters to the left of the pier looking out at the bay if you live near Altona (VIC) and you're keen. I spent 30 minutes in the general area and found nothing (well some junk).

1415409017_altona_beach_7_nov_2014_small.jpg

I'm also travelling past Coolangatta QLD next week and plan to hit a few beaches (found some photos from the 1930's that show one beach covered in people - and believe it or not they had camel rides on the beach). If you live up that way any advice would be welcome.

Best regards
Robert

haven't had a lot of time to get out for a few months, but I have had a look here every so often. Seeing what everyone else is finding is quite enjoyable.
Now that it's warming up here in Melbourne I plan to do a lot more wading (especially without a wetsuit).

I'm heading up to QLD in the next 2 days so I hope I pick a few decent beaches and find stuff, or just walk around with my CTX and enjoy the exercise :)

At least you caught a fish as well,..all the lead can mean all the gold as well,..I say dig them anyway as you never know what the next target may be(at the beach anyway),.. and we all know that one hunt leads to another. Good luck on your trip north.(research being the key).

thank you gentlemen. Just got back to Melbourne. Coolangatta only yielded a few dollars in modern coin, some sinkers and a modern asian coin with a hole in the middle - when I first saw it in the scoop I was excited because it was corroded and I had hopes of something old/weird. Oh well.

@Silver - yes I should dig every target, because the next one could be interesting rather than another one of the same thing, probably I just have a short attention span... anyway who'd like some cake & what were we talking about?

cake sounds good,....big cakes of dirt, just full of coins,....Mmmmmm I'll have me a slice thanks Robert Le Mal.

Latest posts