frozen berries recall

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I realise this has been heavily reported on in the news - but WOW!!! This will cause many, many shudders. These things are pretty cheap and ideal for making (???) healthy smoothies for the grandkids over summer. Not anymore. The price for Australian organic/fresh is really high or out of season but I am no longer prepared to buy imported and in fact, I thought these were Australian ' who reads fruit packaging while at Woolies/Coles/Aldi etc. You just can't win sometimes when you try and do the right thing. If anyone is affected, my thoughts are with you, it could have been any of us!!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...product-recalled-in-hepatitis-a-scare/6126272

its a vicious circle...
OS product is cheaper (sometimes driven by tariffs and labour)
we buy more OS products.. our cash goes OS
local guys loose money to pay the bank managers, struggle and then go bust (automobile, canned food, etc)
OS buyers purchase the local businesses firesale cheap and often dont even sell the produce in Au (live stock trade)
local employment suffers (helped by misuse of 351 temp work visas and FIFO)
product quality goes down hill, but they dont care.. they are happy to feed powdered plastic to their babies and pretend its formula if they can get away with it

we all need to put our money where our hearts are and support local

what ever happened to this marketing program?

Australian-made-grown-owned-business-BP-17-05-11-300x261.jpg

I've been saying and doing this for years, though I stopped talking about it as some say it's racist or alarmist. I'm just well informed as to the dangers of buying imported foods from countries with third world standards. I don't buy religion certified foods either as I don't support ritual killing of animals and prefer my food religion free.

We had a bag of berries in the freezer. Mrs Ramjet said they are not the ones reported. I don't care, I threw em out.
Don't get me started on fresh produce. The 'fresh food people' sell asparagus from Peru FFS. Fresh my backside.

Its nice to know you bathe Ramjet, (ie: fresh my backside) :D :p
Its hard to get any Australian made or produced products now.
What a sad sad state our country is in.

Reminds me of Coles "fresh bread" fiasco - made and baked in Ireland and Germany, and defrosted in Australia. :rolleyes:

It's a mixed bag when importing food products from Asian countries, I remember comsuming a packet of Satay noodles from Indonesia, with the added protein of swimmer bugs mixed in with the noodles. 8) I just about threw up after getting halfway through a bowl of noodles, I had visions of open vats full of boiling noodles and an assortment of local bugs swimming around in the mix (dry reach). :|

How can you possibly expect quality food from some of these countries, when they don't even adhere to the same sorts of quality control procedures that we have here? I guess everyone saw the story not long ago on Indian rice paddies being converted for the raw prawn market, complete with effluent running into the same water the prawns are grown in. Yum.

Not that many moons ago the mob I worked for decided to buy Oranges from California.
So the buyer was sent over there a pre paid for 100's of hectares for the next decade.
The fruit gets picked in California and is loaded into giant bulk bins and sent to South East Asia.
Once in SEA it is graded, bad fruit discarded, packed into 20kg cartons and loaded onto pallets.
It then arrives in Melbourne and is quarantined for 2 weeks and transported by sub contractor to the Distribution Centre.
Order are then placed and it is hand picked and transported to stores.
This fruit is uniform in size, color, very juicy and tastes sensational.

All that is cheaper than buying oranges in Shepparton or Mildura.

To appease local growers their fruit was placed alongside on the shelves and always did not sell.

And that is only one line of fruit.
Once upon a time things were in and out of season. Not anymore. Just import.

Well we had some of the berries in the recall, infact I was about to use them when "the Minister for all things" pointed out the news item, well a bag of frozen berries went to the big berry dump in the sky........

Just a note on other "Cons" woolworths also have bakery products premade overseas and frozen then shipped, reheated and final cooking is done instore, why because of the cost and the smell instore, who doesn't like the smell in a bakery????? How do I know? unloaded many a semi trailer of frozen bakery products from overseas, woolies just weren't stupid enough to call them fresh.

Just while I'm a roll, a dog food cannery who who uses overseas cereal, fish and a host of other ingredients in the dog food.

Only for the cost.....

We try very hard to make sure we buy Aussie but it's getting harder.

Buy Australian

Just spotted on the news tonight - they think (?) its the raspberries. They 'apologised".

this just infuriates me you would think they would make them in australia instead lets just save money and buy them from thailand and china .absolutly rediculas .i purchased a pumpkin soup the other day and it says australian company and organic and then on the back it says made in thailand lol ffs really ?.

Was listening to the wireless as this unfolded. Old mate gets on and says about popping a flag on the package. Thought to myself this bloke is on a winner. How easy would that be for producer and consumer? Too easy I say.

But all of the tale that is so far told
Has nothing whatever to do
With the Ogs of Podge, and their crafty dodge,
And the trade in pickles and glue.
To trade with the Glugs came the Ogs to Gosh,
And they said in seductive tones,
"We'll sell you pianers and pickels and spanners
For seventeen shiploads of stones:
Smooth 'uns or nobbly 'uns,
Firm 'uns or wobbly 'uns,
All we ask is stones."

And the King said, "What?" and the Queen said, "Why,
That is awfully cheap to the things I buy!
For that grocer of ours in the light brown hat
Asks two and eleven for pickles like that!"
But a Glug stood up with a wart on his nose,
And cried, "Your Majesties! Ogs is foes!"
But the Glugs cried, "Peace! Will you hold your jaw!
How did our grandpas fashion the law?"
Said the Knight, Sir Stodge, as he opened his Book,
"When the goods were cheap then the goods we took."
So they fined the Glug with the wart on his nose
For wearing a wart with his everyday clothes.
And the goods were brought home thro' a Glug named Ghones;
And the Ogs went home with their loads of stones,
Which they landed with glee in the land of Podge.
Do you notice the dodge?
Not yet did the Glugs, nor the Knight, Sir Stodge.

snipped from the Glugs of Gosh
http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/denniscj/glugs/stoneg.html

The "Fresh Food People" "cheap cheap, cheap, what a joke and our importers bring what they like when they like through the NZ back door to overcome our strict import regulations?
"Packed in NZ using local and imported products" The local products are probably the local labour doing the packaging.
Last week went to purchase Australian grown, Birdseye Frozen Peas. Notice on the packages, due to growing conditions in Tasmania we are now using "Packed in NZ using local and imported products" or words to that effect.
We have now found a "local" green grocer who has "local" greens on the shelf, prices are slightly higher but woohoo they are fresh.
No potatoes, onions and avocados with black centres, actual "fresh food."

Speaking of berries I found these growing in the dunes all over the Nullarbor.. Granted they probably don't have HEP.A but I'd like to know if they're edible or poisonous. Anyone know what they are?

15946305283_fd500e8e87_c.jpg

15946305273_a401c774b1_c.jpg

15946305293_54e3b52461_c.jpg

15946305303_4a1f09ff45_c.jpg

15946305913_be7ec42297_c.jpg

Both the missus and I are watching our health now as she was halfway through a bag of nannas when this recall emerged, needless to say the offending bag went in the bin and she is eating the coles brand frozen berries now since theyre grown and packed in chile.
Hopefully our bag was from an uncontaminated batch but we wont know for a couple of weeks yet since the virus apparently has a two week incubation period. :mad:

Latest posts