front mount winch

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you have a front mount winch and you need to pull yourself out backwards do you have any little tricks for doing that ?

I was thinking of making a couple of brackets for D shackles under my ute chassis so if i have to run the cable underneath to the back i can do it without damaging the sump or fuel tank.

what tricks do you guys n girls use ?

The other option is having the winch fitted to a frame with a 2 inch square bar that can fit into the towbar mount , and weld the same fitting to the front of the chassis so you can keep the winch stowed in a toolbox somewhere and just pull it out when you're kneedeep indeshitt

that requires having anderson plugs front and rear but thats useful for jumper leads

Having another person to snatch you out is the best option, however if you got into that situation on your own then it would be best to go forward if you can then do a three pointer and go back the way you came.
If there was something preventing you going forward and reverse was the only way then you could as you said have a winch mounted to a trailer hitch receiver for emergency.
Or use a jack and a duckboard to get traction or a maxtrax or similar.
You could reduce tyre pressure to gain more traction.
Last resort would be to use a high lift jack and a tow strap to manually winch it free however this is pretty dangerous as it puts extreme strain on equipment, if any parts were fatigued from age they could potentially fail with possible fatal results.
All in all its best to have another 4wd for safety.

My two cents there, TGW.

i have seen 4WD's with a winch fitted both front and rear but i like to build versatility into what i create , and keep costs and weight down.

i will have a play with the single winch idea

its an interesting idea, i dont see why you could not do it, the strain on what ever you have on the front pulley would be the weakest point so heavy duty would be the name of the game,
Two pulleys at a 90 degrees in some box sections at the front, then connecting to twin pulley setup passing underneath the chassis to an anchor behind the vehicle. EASY LOL

Let us know what you come up with.

It does sound like a good idea in theory, but I wonder how you would get the winch cable underneath the vehicle if it was bogged to the belly?
Will be interested to see what suggestions are made in this thread.
Good post H U :)

Cheers,
Billy.

Latest posts