Freeze eggs

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another good way to store eggs in the shell and on the shelf is to smear them with a cooking oil. Covering the whole shell it blocks all the pores in the shell so no air can get in. They last for months

Another good way to store eggs in the shell and on the shelf is to smear them with a cooking oil. Covering the whole shell it blocks all the pores in the shell so no air can get in. They last for months
Never tried cooking oil, but there used to be a commercial product made specifically for eggs. Can’t remember it’s name, but yes, eggs would last for months (although they were kept in a fridge).

Just need to be careful what you stored your eggs with - we stored a bunch of eggs next to our onions, and ended up with onion flavoured eggs for the next couple of months. Fine in an omelette, not so great in a cake.

No, it was a product that the eggs were dipped into, and then stored in the walk-in fridge. This was in Antarctica many many moons ago. Potatoes, onions & carrots etc were stored in sawdust. “Fresh” deliveries could be months apart, so storage was kinda important.
‘Not something I dealt with personally, rather it was more something that came up in discussions (usually when I was on kitchen duty). Others recounted how they used the same stuff back home…

My mother used Keepegg, after a visit to her relatives on various farms we would spend many hours rubbing this over the eggs which were then stored in 5 gallon kerosene tins with the top cut out and layers of newspaper between the layers (not the chooks) of eggs.

Screenshot 2022-10-14 at 07-17-32 keepegg - Google Search.png

Latest posts