Fossicking in Wee Jasper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please take note State Forest have declared that fossicking is not permitted (even with a permit) on McPhersons Swamp Creek at Wee Jasper. Please check out their maps on where you can fossick.

I have never been out there so i do not know the area, but on the map it seems the creek runs through a nature reserve so prospecting probably not aloud, private property which you would need permission of the landowner, crown lease which i believe (could be wrong) you can gain permission via the lease holder with the addition of a state forest permit and just plain state forest where just a state forest permit would be fine.

If State Forests have leased out an area of forest to a third party then that is why they are saying no fossicking - its off limits under their permit system as they have leased it out thus transferring the right to allow/not allow activities but they may still have some say in what activities are allowable under the lease.
If you could find out who owns the lease & get their permission there shouldn't be any problem as long as there isn't a condition of the lease to not allow fossicking etc. If they say no then it will still be off limits either way.

bushchick said:
Please take note State Forest have declared that fossicking is not permitted (even with a permit) on McPhersons Swamp Creek at Wee Jasper. Please check out their maps on where you can fossick.

please link to this declaration

shivan said:
I have never been out there so i do not know the area, but on the map it seems the creek runs through a nature reserve so prospecting probably not aloud, private property which you would need permission of the landowner, crown lease which i believe (could be wrong) you can gain permission via the lease holder with the addition of a state forest permit and just plain state forest where just a state forest permit would be fine.

It does seem to go through 4 x different types of land holdings. Need to be careful exactly where you are there :lol:

1403724292_wee_jasper.jpg

I have not been out there either , I assume that Bushchick has joined the forum to share this information (in 2 different threads) because there is a new declaration and after extensive searching the interwebz I can not find any evidence of it

I know that site. This map was not available previously.

It looks closed to me.

Never seen any livestock around there.

Perhaps it is new. I'd stay off that area given this new map.

The green area is ok.

This information was given by a person who until recently had fossicked in this area and when they went to get a new permit they found that this area is off limits no permit will be given by forestry. This creek is also a designated trout stream and there is a Corroboree frog site further down the creek.

Latest posts