Forum and internet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StoneTheCrows said:
We will be in trouble if the internet goes down.
What the heck would we do all day stuck at home.

Might have to actually talk to the missus :brokenh: :heart: :flowers:

Well it's funny you should say that because over here a lot of sites have been overloaded and my signal keeps dropping out when there are too many users on the net, So it is happening be it only for a short time,

Seeing as you added "Forum" in your title,

Hope you don't mind but another thing people need to be aware of is with their Car's/Truck's etc Is because we are not allowed to travel for weeks on end many of us will find that out Starting Batteries will go flat due to the cars computers using power while the Car is not being used, My Brother reminded me of that last night and seeing as my new Van has an AGM Stop Start setup on board I had to hook up the Noco Booster Via the Vans OBD Port and then remove the positive from the battery and then Charge it Using my Smart Charger,

The reason for using the Noco is so the Car retains all of it's Codes and it also keeps the Clock going and all the Radio Stations, Not only that with some cars you have to program the Cars Computers So it knows what Battery it has and the list goes on and on, So Keep an eye on your Batteries while we are in lock down, and if you want to know the Items I used just ask as long as the OP does not mind,

Cheers,

J.

StoneTheCrows said:
RR here is as good a place as any for information.

Thanks STC,

SHORT CUT, A Picture of the Lead is at the bottom,

What the Dealers use costs $000000 of bucks but you can cheat and do the same for around 20 or 30 bucks or a few hundred bucks if you buy either the NOCO GB70 or the GB150 or the Mega Dollar GB500 as the Lead will only work with these 3 models, I bought the GB70 and the GB150 because these have a 15Ah 12v output Socket which can be used to power fridges short term or in this case Keep your Vehicles DATA Alive.
https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

First and cheapest option is to buy one of these "SEE BELOW" and either cut the round plug off of it and fit either an Anderson Plug or Crocodile Clips so you can hook it up to a spare battery or another vehicles battery, They say it should fit All Vehicles built after 1995, It has worked on my 2017/18 Ford and my Brothers VW Touran and Both vehicles are Diesel,

It has 2 pins that go in to your OBD Socket and it will keep you Vehicle electronics Alive while you remove the Battery, Or Like I did just removed the Positive lead because They made it a Bugger to remove the Battery without removing the Wipers and the Cowl, and My ford also has a Neg - Stud used for jump starting,

With the POS+ lead on the Battery disconnected The NOCO GB150 and the OBD Lead still allowed me to operate the Door Locks and the Auto Folding Mirrors, But Hook up the OBD lead and power supply first and then take off your battery lead/s or remove the battery altogether,

Here's the Lead Info,

https://no.co/gbc012
1585765016_gbc012-noco-genius-boost-settings-keeper.jpg

Harbourmaster said:
If you lock most modern cars (central locking) they go into a power saving mode.

Based on 2 or 3 Week Lockdowns,

Yes they do but the car can still draw 0.150Ah X that by 24hrs = 3.6 Ah X that by 21 Days = 75.5 Ah,

Even over 2 weeks damage can be done. 3.6Ah by 14 Days and it's still going to chew 50.4Ah from your Battery and on a Battery under 100/120Ah is going to spell Trouble or even damage the battery, :Y:

Harbourmaster said:
I've left my Tiguan for almost 5 weeks without a problem but if I'd known I was going to be away that long I'd have left a charger on it.
Yeah my ford seemed ok as did my brother Touran but the warning sign that it needed charging was the Stop Start function stopped working, Once charged it was fine again.

While I was away (had expected 6 weeks) I connected up my old Arlec battery charger via a timer which meant it came on for a few hours every day. Another thing I saw a mechanic do while he was disconnecting a battery from a vehicle with all those codes and stored details was to turn the ignition to the first stop (accessories I think) and plug in a small 12v battery to the cigarette/accessory socket before disconnecting the car battery. It seemed to work.

Latest posts