Forthcoming trip to N.T & to Darwin, Camoweal, Normanton, Cooktown

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pr2cv

Peter Routley
Reaction score
Can anyone help.?
How long do I need to see Uluru in some detail. Would 3 days be Ok & the same for Kings Canyon.?
We intend doing a bit of fossicking/detecting where possible without going bush bashing.

Any ideas would be most welcome as to where to stop things to see etc.

Intend to be at Uluru around Easter 2014

Darwin, camoweal, Normanton lava tubes & to Cooktown before heading south

Thanks in advance

Pete

Three days is plenty for the Rock, Ulgas, and Kings Canyon as they are so close together. Be good to get 2 sunrises and sunsets for the Pic department. Gemtree is worth a look as its all bitumen and only 60 ks down the Plenty Hwy,(plenty Zircons and Garnets). About 90ks north of Alice to the Plenty Hwy.

I'd stop at Tennant Creek for a swing with the detector for a couple of days, if time permitted. Take your fishing rods as there's some great Barra fishing on the way across to Normanton.(Take a pic of the biggest croc in the world, replica, in the main street....mind blowing). Nick into Karrumba if you want a feed of the best prawns in OZZ.

Have a great trip....you'll enjoy the vast differences in scenery.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks Wal,
You seem to come up with the goods every time, 3 days to cover Uluru & Olga's & a further 3 days at Kings Canyon it is.
I intended on Gemtrees for a couple of days.
As far as using the detector I'm still a long way off proficiency using the bloody thing .
Pete

Uluru and the Olgas are side by side and unless your a fanatical photographer or the weather is crap you only need one night to get some good sunrise and sunset shots. Kings Canyon has some nice scenic walking trails but a night or 2 is all you need to see it all. All depends on how many pics you want, how much hiking you want to do, and how many flies you want to swat. :D

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
All depends on how many pics you want, how much hiking you want to do, and how many flies you want to swat. :D

Cheers Wal.

Now that brings back a nightmare , the cavity encrazed flies of NT , they will try to get in your ears , nose & mouth unrelentlessly. Swatting , slapping swishing will not deter them , you will end up wearing a head net LOL - and don't go out without it , you WILL regret it

I just spent 4 days at tenant creek xmas day+ , flies are so bad they carried my gold away :) I did find some but for my 1st attempt at panning :) easy entry and lots ground to look over at Mad Micks haunted shack at Warrego fossicking area. some areas around mount Isa I'm still looking into .

my effort swallowed 14 flies got 3 specks gold learnt more about my detector :)

1388311591_img_1104.jpg

Latest posts