Fools Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been lurking in the background and trying to learn what I can off the site. I got myself a Garrett Delux panning kit and headed out for the day last week. No gold found but lots of fools Gold. So my question is is gold known to be in the same area as fools Gold?

Hi Rockfinder,

If your fools gold is pyrites, it is often associated with gold. I've panned a few small pyrites cubes at Tuena. Some kinds of pyrites (arsenical pyrites) are viable gold ores, because they contain gold. But these are not of interest to the recreational prospector.

If you are in a granite area, it is common to find mica, which can look like gold, except that it is light and swirls around the pan like the snow in one of those snow domes.

Research your area to see if it was known for alluvial gold in the past, or tell us the general area (not the specifics) of your creek, and I'm sure that someone could tell you.

1517807407_19.jpg

Thanks drduck. Going to try and get a photo but it's a very flakey that looks silver in the water of the pan. And also moves around in the water like it's very light

G'day rockfinder, welcome aboard. From your description, it sounds very much like mica. Very light and floats around as Dr Duck says. And he is also right when he says to research your area and see if gold has been found there. Have fun mate. :Y:

rockfinder said:
Hey guys,

Been lurking in the background and trying to learn what I can off the site. I got myself a Garrett Delux panning kit and headed out for the day last week. No gold found but lots of fools Gold. So my question is is gold known to be in the same area as fools Gold?
what was the location mate i will see what i can find

Pyrite and Gold are formed under similar conditions, so they can often be found in the same location, I have a specimen piece of quartz at my mum's place containing both gold and pyrite. One thing is for sure though seeing them together you should immediately be able to tell them apart. If your eyes deceive you pyrite is hard and brittle and will leave a brown/black streak on a scratch test, a ceramic tile will do the job. Even taking a piece and smearing it in your pan with your fingernail will hint to it's real identity.

Is the creek/river you are working a known gold bearing one? Let us know your general location and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction (was a bit slow to press send it seems! There certainly is gold around Dargo). Sounds like it is Mica in your pan though, 2.8-3.1 specific gravity, it will happily swirl around in the water. Pyrite a little heavier, 4.95-5.1 and Gold leading the pack at 19.32 specific gravity.

Good luck out there, once you find yourself in a gold bearing creek you should have little trouble finding some to toss in a vial, the real test is learning how to maximise your take for the effort put in. If you look at Dr.Duck's latest post on panning at Tuena, you can certainly see that all you need is a pan to bring home quality gold.

Garrett deluxe pack, already putting yourself in a good position to find some yellow.

JACOB CREEK, prospecting in 1934 of quartz reefs in host schist, ironstone, and sandstone of the Tarcowie Siltstone. A sample from the shallow excavations assayed 210g/tAu, this sample being most likely comprised of isolated pyritic nodules found during sinking.