Fittings, Layflat, Suction hose for Highbankers..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i saw a guy struggling to get camlocks into stiff suction hose and thought i would mention the technique we have used in mines and quarries

The hose is put in the ground , put grease or vaseline on the hose tail , stick it into the end of the hose , put a block of 4 x 2 timber hardwood against the camlock and then stand on the hose while you bash the camlock in with a 14 lb sledgehammer

a lot of camlocks ARE very tight to get in to thick walled suction hose , and that is the most reliable method if you dont have a hose press bench

for the record , a hose press bench has sets of half clamps that hold the hose while a hydraulic press pushes the camlock into the hose.

If youre doing more than one hose you might go to the effort of taking two 4 x 4 timbers , drill a hole in between them slightly smaller than your hose and bolt the timbers to a bench for a hose clamp then do the same method as above with wood block and sledgehammer.

I have done this on hoses up to 4 inch , anything bigger i pay the hose guy to do them.

I like to roll with the tail pipe of my diesel ute, warms the hose up nicely after a couple of min's, just dont do what i seem to do every time............forget to put the bloody hose clamp on first :mad:

dwt said:
I like to roll with the tail pipe of my diesel ute, warms the hose up nicely after a couple of min's, just dont do what i seem to do every time............forget to put the bloody hose clamp on first :mad:

yup . lots of variation in different hoses though

some types just push in by hand , others need something like a D11 dozer to get them in

I used to do cement tanker hoses sometimes and even on a good day with a 14 pounder they are a @%$*#&^

only thing i dont touch with a barge pole is fuel tankers , the hoses have anti static earthing cables through them and its not something you want to get wrong... :eek:

Tathradj said:
Hi Nugget,

I take it that these pumps do not create a massive amount of pressure. I do not know the formula but
moving a column of water up 20 meters does take a bit of force.

The formula for working out the amount of pressure that a height or 'head' of liquid produces is

P (Pressure in Pascals) = Rho (density in kgs per cubic metre) x g (gravity in metres per second squared) x h (height in metres)

That's the physics formula which is all very boring of course. You just want to know the quick answer right?

It goes like this, water has a mass of near enough to 1000 kgs per cubic metre so you can simplify it to this which will give you an answer to keep most people happy. The following figures are simplified to make it easy to follow.

For every metre of head, a pressure of 10 kPa is produced. Therefore a 20 metre head will produce 200 kPa of pressure.

This is just static pressure and it's irrespective of the volume of the hose, tank, reservoir, ocean or what ever. Think of it as a column of water. A full water tank 10 metres in diameter and 50 metres high has the same pressure at the bottom as a full drinking straw that's 50 metres tall.

So to pump water to 20 metres of head you need a pump capable of at least 200 kPa. But, that's just to get the water there.

To have an effective flow you need more that 200 Kpa because you need to overcome line friction and other friction losses in the path of the water flow. Fittings, elbows, reductions in diameter all eat away at the efficiency of the whole system. All of these factors must be considered.

When I do a pump calculation if I came up with a total head figure of 20 metres I wouldn't recommend a 26 metre head pump. I'd be recommending the next pump up in performance in order to have a decent flow rate. For the sake of a few dollars it's better to have plenty up your sleeve performance wise than to have a pump maxed out and producing a less than satisfactory flow.

Hi all got a question about pump size and hose size. I used to own a 1.5 inch pump that ran with 1.5 inch layflat. That was untill the pump died. A very slow and well worked death. I'm looking to down size my high banker that will accommodate a 1 inch pump due to weight of the pump. She was heavy at 18 kgs. Can I still use the same layflat hose if I reduce back to the pump and run the same size layflat hose. My concern is that I won't get the pressure to bust up clay and put extra stress on the pump. I hope I'm wrong cos I don't really buy more smaller hose if I can avoid it. Thanks

I'd imagine if you reduce down to 1" at both the ends it should maintain adequate pressure, your spray bar would need to be 1" also. Can anyone confirm this?

I think it will affect, however have never tried. Clay is tough stuff to break even with a proper 1.5 set up and everything spraying nicely.

For those of you that may have trouble getting the cam lock or strainer into your rigid intake hose just boil some water in a big saucepan and hold the end of the hose in the water for a few minutes, the male ends will then slide in without resistance... Was that crude?? lol. I tried with hot water from the tap, was not hot enough.

Hi all,
I took some advice from fellow members, and purchased a Highbanker locally. The overseas option looked good, but the shipping was a killer.
Ive got a Highbanker, petrol pump and suction nozzle but still need to get the required hoses to run it properly.
The suction is 1.5" and 1" on the petrol pump and Highbanker. It is doing my head in trying to find what i need!
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what i would require.
Ive scanned heaps of websites and Ebay but all it has done is confuse me more!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

1416190671_033.jpg

Nice looking banker there mate,

Try looking in the sponsor trades section and look for the RATOvic topic. He can supply hoses with fittings as required and by all accounts provides a great service.

Hope your banker is up and running soon

get yourself a two meter length of spa hose and attach it to some layflat mate, ratovic is a top supplier gavin will help you out for sure.

where are you as it may help in directing.
HeadsUp sent me to a great place in Sydney for light weight suction hose.
Some are using seed spreading hose if you are rural.

lol yeh good point... he could be in WA for all we know :) cheaters hose is spa hose form clark rubber they seem to be everywhere these days

Try the pump shop. I'm not kidding. Take a piece of paper write down what they advise, but the cheapest item on that list, compare prices and availability and purchase. Easy done. Best advice you can get is from the experts. Best price you can get is usually from China. Best Value for money well you have to use your noodle at some point. You can apply this advice to just about any scenario prospecting related. Your welcome. ;) :D

look in the sponsor section for ratovic, speak to gavin and he can probably sort you out for hoses at good prices, bit late now obviously but he sells pumps too

Your Banker looks great.

Local pump/irrigation place is where I got my hose hardware.
Coupla dollars more expensive but you have it straight away & no postage costs.
I can't remember how long my layflat is, guessing about 18M?
I cut it into three lengths.
Approx 10M, 5M & 3M?
Join them all together for your full length or any combination for shorter runs.

I'm looking into that solid black threaded end irrigation pipe for my spraybars. Possibly a Walbanker style spray.

I dont have a source for layflat hose thats significantly cheaper than ebay but for foot valves and some fittings these guys are about 1/4 of the price of my local irrigation guy , for camlocks though i find T & S Valves below are cheaper

http://batind.com.au/contactus.html

If you only want a couple of camlocks then ebay or the local irrigation supplier is good enough but if people want bulk supply these guys are super cheap

http://www.tsvalves.com.au/products.php?cat=268

I now have layflat hose cut in the following sizes ;

2 inch x 30 metres
2 inch x 30 metres
1-1/2" x 20 metres
1-1/2" x 7 metres
1-1/2" x 3 metres

1-1/2" flexible suction hose cut in 1 metre lengths to use as bends so i dont have kinks from bends in the layflat hose

Latest posts