first time out

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all going to warwick in a couple of days for my first look for gold with the x terra 705 and was wondering if anyone has been out that way recently and had any luck . will be trying thanes creek ,talgai and durikai

p s have been finding lots of bullets around where I live soo was thinking iam doing something right

thanks richard

Have you been able to test your detector on a real piece of gold? Helps to understand how it sounds, what it reads on the screen etc. Try it with a piece of lead if u don't have gold. Got a reality check when I tried a half gram nugget, pinging pull tabs a foot down yet the nugget barely made 3 inches on my Xterra 70. I keep the nugget with me to occasionally test it in the bush to keep me "focussed" on what it sounds like.

thanks for the reply Twapster no gold as yet(will buy one soon)what weight would u recommend. will try it with some lead and see what depth I can get at home and in the bush
thanks richard

Id suggest around a 1gram nugget, that's something that you'd be expecting to pick up while in the bush. You will be surprised at the sound...much fainter than other metals so it helps to "tune your ears" to the sound of gold. Keep it in your top pocket in a small plastic container and throw it down in the bush every now and then to help get the sound you should be looking for.

Best of luck.

Hi thebeans :)
I too have a 705 (just learning to use it) and I have used my gold wedding on some practice runs in the backyard to get the feel of the sound for gold. 8)
Also I have mixed up the search to include some gold coins and the ring to learn the difference between them.
Hope this helps.
Cheers Monty :)

Latest posts