First time out with the AT Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally picked up the garrett AT Gold from the post office this morning and set it all up.

Took 5 minutes to put together and it was straight out into the back yard to throw a few coins around. I found a heap of peg springs and a piece of an old jim beam can but that was enough playing around so its down to the local kids park at the end of the street.

My total find was:
1x20c
1x10c
2x jeans studs
metal 5c sized washer
half a 925 sterling silver ring
bobby pin
Corona cap
Budweiser cap
half a dozen ring pulls.

I found a heap of coin sounding targets below 8" but I don't feel comfortable digging a hold that deep in the middle of a park.

Great work Sluice_goose. No the real fun starts...just trial and error until you learn your detector. Good luck and most of all HAVE FUN

Yeah I only go for targets my pin pointer will detect after locating with main unit, our local council can be pretty heavy handed.
Digging holes in the park or oval is not something I'd like to become a celebrity for in the local newspaper. :D

It won't be long before you're finding the goods mate, you've got yourself a great machine and you'll be learning it for months to come yet. Just remember practice makes perfect.

I try to stay away from manicured lawns. If anything I might do a surface run and occasionally dig the outskirts, but like you I'm not comfortable digging pristine park lawns no matter how well I can plug. Older, less maintained parks are more my thing.

If you want to know anything about using the AT GOLD just let me know and I'll be glad to offer some advice.

Cheers,
Nugget

Thanks guys. Im hoping to hit the beaches soon to increase my skills. Im getting used to the all metal mode before I start playing with the discrim settings too much but it is good to hear the iron tone so you know if its junk or a coin.

The gold fields will have to wait a while. Hoping to get one more trip in before it gets too cold.

I recommend trying discrim 1 as it can help distinguish between junk and coins through multi-tones. It also runs quieter than all metal mode in trashy ground. All metal mode does penetrate deeper though, my testing indicates around 10cm over discrim 1. I use both modes depending on the ground conditions and what I'm chasing but 9/10 times I'll stick to discrim 1. I almost never use discrim 2 unless the ground is ridiculously trashy.

In discrim 1, a clear high tone, identical sounding both left to right is almost certain to be a solid coin shaped object, whereas a clear high tone one way but broken high tone the other way is more likely to be trash. It's just a matter of having a play with all the different settings to find out what suits you best.

Gold fields are a different ball game altogether :)

Ah ok. I noticed that the 2 coins had a disinct harsh tone where as all the trash had a different faded tone on the edges.
Good to know.

Only 98.5 hours left to fully learn everything.

Coins should come in nice and clear, did you leave iron audio on while detecting? It needs to be off and only turned on when checking a target.

I only switch over to it if im having trouble finding a target. If it comes up iron after a few digs, i fill it in and keep on truckin.

Latest posts