First time detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So i bought a minelab gm1000 last week and after testing it out o the beach and park i decided to take it up a state forest around some old diggings that i knew of near my hometown.
After reading most people first attempts failing i went out with low expectations. Anyway after digging a lot of bullets casing and slugs i found a peice of quartz that made my machine sing a decent amount.
So after taking it home and smashing it open i was extremely please with my first gold coming in at 0.3g.
Thanks for all the info I have gotten off this forum :Y:

Great result Josh

With Gold Prospecting have no expectations

Keep practising , learning & put the time in

I remember meeting a guy who found 1 piece in 3 years but was still learning & enjoying Detecting

Well it wasnt easy by any means, after months of research and about 8km of practically bush bashing and creek following but was worth every drop of blood literally.
Im going to have to go back to check all the large quartz chucks that are laying around the area more thoroughly i think.

Hi,never ever go out with low expectations NEVER, it's like your defeated before you get there.Think positive like I will find gold today.Ive been detecting for 14 years and learned this long ago.Remember you get what you think,believe me.?

300 said:
Hi,never ever go out with low expectations NEVER, it's like your defeated before you get there.Think positive like I will find gold today.Ive been detecting for 14 years and learned this long ago.Remember you get what you think,believe me.?

Well yes that's one way to look at it. The other thing is that if you go out all fired up you might just come home very disappointed. I guess if I go out in a gold bearing area I expect to come home with gold but I have at times gone out with a goal to find a certain quantity of gold and I've let myself down. Now I try to not set a figure to reach then I can just be happy with whatever comes my way. That way I'm usually quite happy to return with just a rattle in my bottle :)