First piece of equipment

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all

As per the introduction post, I'm a newby, guess that has been said too many times on here.

The more I read the more I learn.

I'm would like to get my first piece of equipment shortly, what do you think it should be? Would love to get a gpx5000 but mrs will kill me if I got it at the moment.

Also what would be the suggested equipment list one should have?

Welcome aboard Goldenhodge.

First thing would be a gold pan.
There's lots of different coloured, riffle design, shapes out there but they all will work.

A simple black pan for around $12 will get you started.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum about your question re: equipment list.

Hi Goldenhodge,
I'm new at this too, so I can only speak from what I've learned from research here and from other prospectors I know.
A gold pan is a must if you're going to be prospecting near water. This is obvious, but some seem to overlook this tried and true tool that the original prospectors depended on.
A Sluice is a great item to have near water as well....multiplies your panning efforts.
A metal detector for finding the nuggets......get the best one you can afford......it will hopefully pay for itself many times over in the years to come!
A quality prospecting pick.
A small shovel.
A GPS for marking where you're finding gold.

Good luck out there!

Thanks for the replies guys, greatly appreciated.

mbasko i have read so much and guess was just wondering from everyones perspective what would be their first choice and thought I would add the other q.

Thanks for the links also :)

Also I heading to the US at the end of the month, unfortunately to not commence the new hobby, but to go on a much deserved holiday!

Are items over there much cheaper than here? I have been looking at things like detectors which dont seem to be much different in price? Has anyone been over there and checked this out? If so, where would the best place be? Im heading to LA/NY/VEGAS

Hi Goldenhodge , I have bought stuff on ebay from US & even with high postage costs, its cheaper than here, but maybe not for everything. Sluices, pans & sieves are way cheaper in the US, as there is more competition than here. Pumps are 60% to 70% of the price here also, but again warranty is void, same issue as detectors.

As for gear to buy , it depends where you are & your preference. If aluvial , pans, sieve, sluice highbanker.

If you are near an area reknowned for nuggets, get the detector

Hope this helps , Cheers Paul

Just so everyone is aware, I contacted minelab via PM re the GPX 5000 and warranty if purchased in another country and found that it is an international warranty.

"If you send it to Minelab or the closest dealer it should be an internation warranty.
If there is anything else we can help with, please let us know"

Hope this assists anyone with the same question :)

Latest posts