First aid kits

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, planning some trips away, anything from a weekend to up to 6 weeks, and my thoughts go to taking a first aid kit. After much poring over the internet, I'm just confused! I can buy a simple, 1 person kit, for maybe 25 bucks, or a "serious trauma kit" for nearer 300, and basically deal with the same problems, just with the bigger kit, it has more bandages! Realistically, perhaps a little up from the basic kit, I have a burns kit, eye kit, minor wound kit, bite and sting kit (really just compression bandage and sting relief) and that's pretty much it! If you are maybe 6 hours into the bush, a storm stopping a chopper flying you could be up to 48 hours from help. Now maybe I'm 'overthinking' this, but I was looking for just a little more in a kit than I can seemingly get, anybody have any thoughts on this?

Paramedic 30 years. You really dont need that much. If you have the usual bandaids, tweezers, antiseptic or burn cream etc, good quality sticky bandaids, thats about all i ever need despite all the crap i carry. Toss in half a dozen triangular bandages and you can manage a major bleed or a broken bone.

Interesting comment Wolfy, maybe I am 'overthinking it'! and thanks Nightjar, yes I have checked them out, in fact, I think I can tell you the different contents between 100 different kits! I think I will just go for a good 'remote' kit and maybe add a few things to it. Thanks guys

I must admit that I carry a different kit depending on where I am travelling, what vehicle I am using and what I am doing.
- In the camper-van I have a St Johns roadside trauma kit, not so much for me (I hope) but in case I come across a situation that needs it.
- Also in the van separately is more of a kit for aches and pains, plus the basic heavy duty band-aids, antiseptic, etc.
- When walking around detecting, basically like what Wolfy says, less the antiseptic, but added a couple of compression bandages
- Boat has a full St Johns leisure kit.
- 4WD has a hard case outdoor kit.
- I even have a tiny kit in another pocket pack that is basically, good band-aids and some antiseptic wipes. This is designed basically for walking or cycling to handle abrasions, and the like.

Note that I have obtained some compression bandages with the diamond shape on them that makes it easier to get the pressure applied closer to what it should be. Haven't had to use one yet and as always hope that the most first aid that I have to do is a bit of antiseptic and a band-aid.

Rob

PabloP said:
Note that I have obtained some compression bandages with the diamond shape on them that makes it easier to get the pressure applied closer to what it should be. Haven't had to use one yet and as always hope that the most first aid that I have to do is a bit of antiseptic and a band-aid.

Rob

Is this what they refer to as "smart bandages" I noticed somewhere?

Consider doing a St John's course or similar.
Also reduce risk by wearing gaiters in snake country and carry a radio and PLB.

Make your own kit, constrictive bandages, wound dressings, bandaids, iodine like betadine, magnaplasim, bfi powder, tweezers, scissors, super glue, eye drops, pain killers, asprin, gladwrap, alcohol swipes, do a course if you havnt already, or read up on a good source like st johns.
better to be looking at it, than looking for it.

I carry the 4x4 St John's Kit, but periodically replace some of the time expired items as well as those used, plus a few extras.

The Bandages that Pablo mentioned, I carry for snake bite and or bleeding. they are called Setopress

http://store.independenceaustralia....n-bandages/setopress-bandage-10cmx3-5mtr.html

They are available in some stores.

They are designed to apply the correct pressure for either bite or bleed.

Latest posts