Finding your way to a tenement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi we are newbies.
Just started out in WA, we have a list of pending tenements to look at, but on trying to get to our first one we're met by a fence with no obvious way in.
Google earth showed other small tracks, but when offline how do you know where to head.
So I guess the question is, once you have found a tenement, how do you actually access it.
Do we need a GPS aerial for a laptop. Trying to just use iPad. Have Hema map app on iPad.
Thanks any advice would be appreciated. :)

You could ask the gate fairy.
I don't mean to be rude, but if you aren't resourceful enough to find an entry point you may be looking at the wrong career line.
A great part of prospecting is problem solving and being resilient.

Your ipad will work offline with hema if it's a cellular one, ie with an inbuilt gps.
I'm pretty sure the wifi only one does not have a gps buit in.

Jenpart, Occasional_panner makes it sound easy however that's not always the case. We've been making our way around the WA goldfields for a couple of years now and we still have problems accessing some areas. Perhaps I've chosen the wrong career line but I think it's too late to change. We've both got the fever now and once infected there's no long term cure. All you can do is keep feeding the fever ;)

1490700257_newman2.jpg

Here's an example. We spotted this group of historic gold mines east of newman. It's just the type of spot we target to take a look at. Of course the first thing is to make sure it available to us.

1490700386_newman.jpg

This is the same area showing tenements. Several of the mines are on a pending lease so that's good enough for us. A little bit of research showed us that the roads and tracks leading there come from the northwest so we set off. Before long we came to an inaccessible minesite blocking our access. We phoned the mine manager but were told that all access to that area is blocked. I didn't believe it. We returned to the main road and went back to Geopmap, Google Earth, Hema and whatever else we had. We worked out from the satellite imagery that we could enter from the south if we left the road at the river and followed the bed of the stream for several kilometres.

We had to give it a go because if it was that difficult to get to then nobody has been raiding the gold there. We headed south on the highway and took a main road in. When we got to the river it looked ok but I thought we should go a bit further to what looked like a bit of a track on GE. Well we never found that track but a kilometer of so further and we spotted a track right next to a minesite and headed that way. For the next few kilometres we headed a bit far to the east but roughly in the right direction. Then nothing matched the map. The tracks we found were not on the map and the tracks on the map didn't exist. We forged on....and on.....

Eventually we found what we were looking for but with all the maps available to us we still had to fly by the seat of our pants. New mining activity had cut off the original roads and tracks and the new tracks were not mapped.

Sometimes you just have to persist until you get lucky :cool:

Thanks Money Box, we did eventually gain access, using Hema, even wiki camp off line, google earth is an issue offline. We do have a drone so can fly it up and look for tracks. I was mainly just wondering if there were better maps to use. This was our first day out so all trial and error and learning. Was just unsure why there was a brand new fence along the pending site?
Thanks for your input, maybe you need a drone :)
Rgs

I would love to have a drone but how many toys can you carry :lol:

Geomap works offline because it's all downloaded. However you must download the tenements just before you head out because the change at any time. You can connect a GPS tracker to Geomap but not all GPS's work.

Moneybox, I was't saying it was easy, quite the opposite, read what I wrote again.
You do need to be resourceful, your story is a prime example of that, that's exactly what I was talking about.

Jenpart, well done with the drone, that was good thinking. :Y:

I thought a pending tenement was pegged/prospected, lease/ground, waiting approval by the Gov?

Latest posts