finding the reef

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIV

Kane
Reaction score
In my local area I go to, the creek there has chunky alluvial gold and some fine gold too
I have reached a section of the creek that it disserpears!
The gullies are steep and my guess is that the reef would be up on one side of the gully if not both
How would be the best way to to find this out?

Cheers Kane

Hey Kane if you look up the method of loaming, that will lead you to the reef in theorie, it's essentially test panning

The BEST way would be to run along the gullies with a metal detector :lol: short of that though look for decent sized quartz veins along the gully, that's your most likely location, also as a general rule, gold veins travel north to south, so that may help give you an idea where to look on the other side once you find the first vein.
Hope that helps mate, good luck eh!
Garnet

Go with the traditional methods - "loaming" will lead you to the source as ably described by Jack London http://www.online-literature.com/poe/49/

"........He moved down the stream a few steps and took a second pan full of dirt.

Again came the careful washing, the jealous herding of the golden specks, and the wantonness with which he sent them flying into the stream when he had counted their number.

"Five," he muttered, and repeated, "five."

He could not forbear another survey of the hill before filling the pan farther down the stream. His golden herds diminished. " Four, three, two, two, one," were his memory-tabulations as he moved down the stream. When but one speck of gold rewarded his washing, he stopped and built a fire of dry twigs. Into this he thrust the gold-pan and burned it till it was blue-black. He held up the pan and examined it critically. Then he nodded approbation. Against such a color-background he could defy the tiniest yellow speck to elude him.

Still moving down the stream, he panned again. A single speck was his reward. A third pan contained no gold at all. Not satisfied with this, he panned three times again, taking his shovels of dirt within a foot of one another. Each pan proved empty of gold, and the fact, instead of discouraging him, seemed to give him satisfaction. His elation increased with each barren washing, until he arose, exclaiming jubilantly:

"If it ain't the real thing, may God knock off my head with sour apples!"

Returning to where he had started operations, he began to pan up the stream. At first his golden herds increased--increased prodigiously. " Fourteen, eighteen, twenty-one, twenty-six," ran his memory tabulations. Just above the pool he struck his richest pan--thirty-five colors....."

It's worth a read

Casper

Where the old runs out, look up, find the steepest slope, climb to the top, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be there... Just a tip, from my observations, the quartz that is exposed is not always white. have a look for the shape of the quartz in the rock that is exposed, and for the typical slab like appearance. As Garnet said, the reef will be running north south direction..The "reef" could be as little as 3 or 4 inches wide and quite degraded.

images

Dogmatic said:
casper said:
Go with the traditional methods - "loaming" will lead you to the source as ably described by Jack London http://www.online-literature.com/poe/49/

That was a great short story Casper and explains loaming very well. Definitely worth taking the time. Thanks.

I chose it deliberately over posting a "how to" because the thing about books and short stories and the narrative writing style is that you become immersed in what you are reading - in your mind you're transported there - you live the experience being described - wasn't it was bloody uncomfortable down that hole and trapped like rat ...... were you waiting for the bullet too!!

SNAP BACK to reality now!! ... i think that you would have read other very good descriptions of how to loam - but which one do you remember ;) and the best thing is when you go out to do it for 'real' it's not your first time eh!- think about it ;)

CASPER

Hey Casper your coming with me to prospect.
If your no good at digging or panning.
Then i'll just get you to read a book......cause i know you can do that!
Cheers
Brian

thesmithy said:
Hey Casper your coming with me to prospect.
If your no good at digging or panning.
Then i'll just get you to read a book......cause i know you can do that!
Cheers
Brian

haha! I know that you're poking fun........

.... and yes I can dig and pan and loam however my post was all about different ways of delivering and absorbing instructive information. I say again - i think that you would have read other very good "how to" descriptions of how to loam - but which one do you remember in the most detail - visualization is a most powerful and under estimated tool.

Casper

You are right Casper. The story provides an accurate, vivid and memorable description of the process. Mind you I was surprised at how deep he was digging each hole.
I guess that isn't something I had thought about.

Latest posts