Finding Desert Gold..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning Jack..you are spot on..especially true over here in SA..We are not very nugget rich..but I think with the right gear gold can be found in the nth of our state..I'm trying to research the best ,quickest,easiest,method..In SA we can use powered equipment like Hydrolic concentraters. dredges. Dry blowers...A small auger would be good for taking small samples and not having to dig 2-3 ft..but most are too big around 6 inches..ideally 2 inches would be ideal..maybe powered by a battery pack drill..?

Thanks Mungoman, That's a great kit of gear..perfect for the job, lots of places I can probe with that and get a great sample...

Forgot to include Rock Crushers,,not all gold is Aluvial ..and if you come across something interesting crush it..Also looking for a good Pick, to dig up that reef..

Baldy said:
In SA we can use powered equipment like Hydrolic concentraters. dredges. Dry blowers...A small auger would be good for taking small samples and not having to dig 2-3 ft..but most are too big around 6 inches..ideally 2 inches would be ideal..maybe powered by a battery pack drill..?
Maybe double check that?
http://www.minerals.statedevelopment.sa.gov.au/exploration/fossicking

"Can I use a metal detector to fossick?

Yes, a metal detector is acceptable as are a pick and shovel and a gold pan. No machinery operated by mechanical means is allowed."

Never trust your Govt..In the back of Goldfields of South Aust..Gov of Sth Aus..Primary Industries ,resources SA..special publication 12..Drew,GJ..2004 It has a section in the back of this headed Fossicking for gold where it lists Regulations and fossicking equipment where it clearly states ..More sophisticated equipment may include a metal detector,cradle rocker or sluice box,hydrolic concentrater,dredge,dry blower and electrostatic concentrator.. Page 88..Dry blowers can operated manually or by power..p 90..happy days..

Hi Mbasco..I think no power machinery might apply to designated fossicking areas.?

Mate that was published/written in 2004. The SA Mining Act 1971 was updated in 2014 & SA Mining Regulation 2011 so I'd be wary of info from a 2004 publication. Both lots of info are from the Government - I'd probably stick to the more up to date website info?
Seeing as though this site seems to lean more towards conjecture & how to get around rules rather than follow them lately the 2004 publication may hold more interest.

No machinery/powered equipment relates to fossicking & prospecting in all of South Australia as I read it.

Was updated and reprinted in 2009...Like I said never trust your Government..Cheers.

What is the definition of fossicking in South Australia?
Fossicking is described as the gathering of minerals as a recreation and which does not disturb the land or water by the use of machinery or explosives, and without the intention to sell the minerals or to utilise them for a commercial or industrial purpose.(What we are doing is processing,with machinery,not disturbing the land or water..shovel only for us..)That's how I would tell the judge..

Mungoman,would you recommend a particular auger size or kit,I think the one for gravels.?

Baldy said:
What is the definition of fossicking in South Australia?
Fossicking is described as the gathering of minerals as a recreation and which does not disturb the land or water by the use of machinery or explosives, and without the intention to sell the minerals or to utilise them for a commercial or industrial purpose.(What we are doing is processing,with machinery,not disturbing the land or water..shovel only for us..)That's how I would tell the judge..
Well that'll scratch the dredge off your list & the rest to me in SA, like most states, is still pretty grey.
Those hand augers look a good bit of gear for sampling though. :)

Fossicking means the gathering of minerals
(a) as a recreation; and
(b) without any intention to sell the minerals or to utilise them for a commercial or industrial purpose,
but does not include the gathering of minerals by any means involving disturbance of land or water by machinery or explosives...(That is the definition of fossicking in South Australia..Mining act 1971..)
Simple Definition of land. : the solid part of the surface of the Earth : an area of ground. : an area of the earth's solid surface.....
Machinery means any device operated otherwise than by muscular force exerted by an operator ..Mining act 1971..Question..is a bucket of soil still legally defined as Land..I don't think so..

Ive had a bit of a sniff up the tanami around the granites and also on the canning stock route (north end) where there appears very auriferous looking ground. Has anyone else had a look around these desert areas in search of gold?
Its very remote. Next time I will have a real look and plan for it. Could be worthwhile maybe
GT :)

Just spoke to 5 people at pirsa.SA mines..and confirmed that Fossicking is covered by the definition above,and nothing else..First girl said only able to dig to 1mtr..bullshit..Never Trust your Government..Check the legislation..

Latest posts