Fair Nugget prices

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just been wondering how far above spot price are good reasonable sized nuggets worth. As an example, my 8 Ounce and 3.5 Ounce nuggets that most of you have seen on this forum under the finds section, what should they be worth in cleaned condition?

Not that I am selling them, but soon I may start unloading some of my gold, and intend on selling the smaller nuggets at spot price. I am just curious as I have never sold any of my gold in the past.

This question is more directed at those who have experience in selling gold :)

Cheers

Over 80 views and no one has had experience in selling nuggets... I put up this question out of curiosity and believed that the answer would also help others in the same situation. I guess that I have to make my way into the "Boys club" in this forum to be able to get silly questions answered :D

Hang on oldfella, I don't think its like that at all. I reckon most people on here have never seen and 8 ounce nugget ( me included ) let alone trying to sell one. I'm sure someone on here will steer you in the right direction. All I know is that bigger nuggets are worth alot more than their weight value and if trying to sell I would contact a nugget collector who would probably be happy to pay more than weight value for a sexy looking nugget.
Hope you get some positive answers :D

If you have a account on this forum you are part of the club.

I don't think many of us sell them. I am keen to see what the general consensus is. I have been thinking $50/g for a paddock trade would be fair return for your run of the mill nugget.

I would hope good looking nuggets would fetch 10 to 100% above spot price to a collector. Showcase ones like yours, well , it's all about marketing i guess.

Come on guys, ballpark some bookends.

Not that iv got enough to be worth selling but' after seeing the price of what golds worth and the price some people want for the nugget finds' I think somewhere in between is a good price.

Keep an eye on eBay nuggets as they generally fetch a lot more than weight value'

Thanks for the reply's guys, I was starting to think I was invisible with all the looks but no comments :D I have been looking at online auction sites, EBay etc. The variation goes from cheep to extremely expensive making it hard to get a feel for the potential value, not only of my Nuggets but any reasonable multi grammers. So I thought that our forum that has quite a few full time Prospectors, and many are quite knowledgeable, would have the answers hence me posting the question.

Cheers

I think I would put them on ebay for way more than they are worth in gold value and ask for offers.. this may give a better idea of their value.. :)

EBay worries me a little, especially with the many horror stories getting around about fraudulent chargebacks, or not receiving sent goods, the list goes on and not to mention the exorbitant selling fee's. Its great for low value items though.

I more than likely will keep those 2 nuggets (unless I had an offer that I couldn't refuse) and several other large ones but will likely start making some money off my large collection of small stuff.

I have only ever sold one nugget so my opinion probably isn't worth much. If I was doing an auction on ebay I would put the 8oz starting at 15 and the 3.5 oz starting at 6.

Ebay is a safe place to buy/sell as long as you stipulate will not post until funds are in my account and cleared, use paypal and if someone contacts you from Nigeria they are more than likely scammers. I don't usually sell on ebay due to the fee's.

If Ebay doesn't interest you and you would prefer to find a buyer in Aus maybe give Gumtree a go?

Hi Oldfella,
I can only give you second hand news from an old bloke I used to work with years ago that was into prospecting and he told me most gold up to an once would sell for the going rate or there abouts, any bigger ones will increase up to 50% to 100%, and if you get any very unusually looking ones they can go even higher. He mention a nugget that looked like a bird (can't remember which one) and it went for 2.5 times the going rate because it was unique. I guess when you think of it all nuggets are unique in there own way. :)
Check this site out it might help with pricing it has gold from around the world including Australia.
http://gold-nuggets-for-sale.com

Thanks heaps Guys, I don't really want to sell any of my gold as I have had a lot of fun finding it, but in the near future I may have to raise some cash and it's the only option that I have at the moment.

I will have a look at some of the links that you guys have given me :)

Cheers

I'd be asking for x2 gold price for nuggets. If you're not in a huge hurry to unload it you will be able to sell is at that price.

A nugget is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay, a fairly useless statement, but the truth!

In order to attract the best possible price from gold collectors world wide, and the fact that you have a few nuggets to sell, why not consider building your own website?

Creating and hosting a website is easy and free these days, and it gives you the extra prestige as a bonifide Australian gold dealer among serious buyers.....thats the impression you want to create anyway.

You can customize your own site to your desires, create a fabulous narration for each nugget, more freedom with photo uploads, and look professional in attracting collectors interest etc etc.

Ebay is good, but many buyers are skeptical about scams etc and are reluctant.

If you can use a keyboard, you can build a site and i would suggest 'Wix' as the way to go with free templates, free hosting, 'drag and drop' building, but the big plus......you can use googles powers of keyword searching and google adsense to enhance the number of visits to your site worldwide.

http://www.wix.com/

This would be my take ;)

Even better, Its already mobile phone optimized, link your site with YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc

Add videos of you actually digging the nuggets out of the ground if you wish, or any video you like to create prestige with native Australian nuggets.

Create a good site name which is google 'keyword' attractive such as 'Gold Nuggets Australia' or 'Oldfella's Native Gold Nuggets' or similar with the keyword Gold in it.

Link Paypal for monetary transfers, develop a custom email addy with gmail for site correspondence etc etc.....the list is endless.

Once published and the google spiders have had the chance to crawl all over it, you can pop up on the first page of any google search using the keywords in its name.

My wife is a migration lawyer who runs her own firm..... i built her website for her and she is smashing it with new business now!

Not bad for a busted ass prospector like my goodself hey?

Top listing on the first page of a keyword search 'Migration lawyer' or 'Australian Visa' etc

https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...=1&ie=UTF-8#q=hamiltons migration law&es_th=1

And this is her site:

http://www.hamiltonslaw.com.au/

Its possible oldfella....never say never!

Don't know if this is any help to you or not but in the back of the gem gold & treasure magazine there is a classified section. and every month I see jack Lange advertising to buy all size nuggets big and small he has his his contact number listed with the add.good luck

Thanks for all the info Meta. I agree that it wouldn't take much to set up a site (Among other trades, I am also a software developer and hold a Diploma in IT ;) )
I took a look at Wix and it looks like a good proposition and if it does pan out that I have to sell some of my gold, you may well see a new website pop up :D

Thanks to all you other guys, you have given me a few choices.

Cheers

I have no nuggets to sell. Don't forget a lot of those views will be the hundreds of "guests" who visit the site daily but never join.
I would rather buy from a trusted member of the forum than from fleabay or other sources. Not that I'm buying hundreds of ounces :D