Exploration License and Prospecting in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've trawled the threads and can only find one reference from 2013 about being able to prospect on ground covered by an Exploration License. I've Googled the hell out of it but can come up with no definitive answer that says you can or can't do it.

I know Earth Resources Vic is not the authority but it is the only place I can find the specific question addressed, kind of.

http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/ea...-prospecting-and-fossicking/land-access-rules

In the "Allowed with Consent" area of the table it states: "Mining, prospecting or retention licence areas, but not exploration licence areas (other than Crown land where recreational prospecting is banned - see below. The "Land Access Rules" for this are: - "Consent must be sought from the licence holder. This consent is additional to any other requirements in this table. These licence types can be found on Mining Licences Near Me."

To me this reads that you only require consent for prospecting on Mining Licences. Can anyone please confirm what the policy is and if and where it is actually stated in writing.

Cheers in advance.

The fast way around is to find the holder, write to them about what you wish to do and ask permission. Variations are found in the way the holders manage their exploration, some are fenced with machines, some are open swathes of land awaiting drilling, some are not actively worked and are otherwise open ground. Exploration licence can be granted over private land which means you will lawfully have to seek permission from both no matter how unlikely.

I've come to believe on an EL only as a technical point do you need permission, I believe it's a liability issue rather than a regulations issue, but I'm no lawyer.

Going through the department will just lead to a series of dead ends as most of the time they have l8ttle understanding of what they are actually administrating. If that doesn't clear it up then good luck figuring it all out, it is, pardon the pun, a minefield, unless you are the applicant, in which case it's pretty straight forward process.

Just to clarify I have been granted permission on two ELS direct from the holders stating acceptance of activities, times they can be undertaken, and expiration date. All headed by holders logos carried on site.

Thanks OLDGT and Jahan. The regulations are about as clear as mud and I guarantee any conversation with an appropriate authority will yield different results each time.

RE: Private land. I certainly wouldn't enter without land owner permission but I was more interested in EL's on crown land. I was looking in particular at the Wombat Forest which has a number of EL's covering a lot of ground and nearly all is just open with no physical indication that anyone has an interest in it. I'm sure that relates to a lot of areas. I was using GEOVIC to scout the areas and the EL's cover crown land where some prospective mines were going to go ahead even dating back to the 90's but there has been no movement whatsoever.

Jahan, I used that search string and mainly found results pertaining to requirements when applying for and whilst under an EL. One document I did come across (which I cannot verify the contents of - http://sedc.webs.com/documents/Prospecting in Victoria.pdf) states:

"29. Does the holder of a Miners Right need the consent of an Exploration Licence
holder to prospect on land covered by an Exploration Licence?

No."

It's a South Australian club but the doc is titled "Prospecting in Victoria"

Best to play it safe and I will make an attempt to contact the relevant stakeholders of the EL's just to cover bases. There certainly seems to be enough grey area to say you're legitimately allowed to be on that ground without their permission though.

As I stated mate it's more of a liability issue, different legal matter I know, but legalities all the same.

Any how best of luck, I'm sure Wombat has a few treasures still to be unearthed.

Latest posts