Etiquette for asking permission to prospect on private property

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Ok guys, ive heard many of discussions about "asking the farmer for permission" to prospect on private property, and that one should ensure that this is done prior to prospecting.

Being a fairly shy individual when it comes to walking onto someone elses doorstep, id be glad to be given a few pointers.

Does anyone have a good method of doing this? Sure I know blokes with no shame that are happy to intrude on any conversation, talk to any stranger, walk up to any house and bang on a door etc....but what about us blokes that feel a little awkward about rocking up in a 4WD and banging on several barn doors and farmhouses to find someone to "ask for permission"?

Yes im the first to admit ive walked up rivers to a point where Im sure its now someones land on one side and someones land on the other side, and I usually turn around and start heading back.

There comes a point where im thinking....Id love to ask someone if I can keep walking but then I turn around and walk back. If I drive around I may see several "dwellings" in that area and have no idea if one farmer owns all the land, or if each dwelling owns a snippet of that area.

Would be great to get any pointers with this in mind, i'm sick of sticking to "bridges" and "designated areas", however the thought of rocking up to any old house in the bush and knocking on doors has me a little intimidated.

We used to drive to Oberon and leave a bottle of Scotch for the farmer when we used his property to get to the dam, do I need to be bringing a case of Scotch on every prospecting trip?

Quite easy to do just knock on the door I introduce my self tell them I'm been looking at the history in the area did they know of and old churches or schools that were once around?
Then ask do they have an original home site or has anyone ever have a look around their place with a detector if not would they mind? Have they ever lost an item?
Just remember what's found is theirs, they will give it to you if they don't want it.
Grab there number and call to see if it's ok next time and ask do they want anything from town? Milk or bread? Before you realise you will spend more time drinking tea and listening to old story's you won't have time to detect.
Also it will always lead to other places or their neighbours'.

My usual strategy is to look at the 25k topo maps, they have property boundaries marked so you can work out which block your interested in. The look at google earth to see if there is a dwelling on the block.
I like to ask around town before just rocking up at someone's door, knowing a bit about who owns the land or even better getting someone to introduce you.
Drop it in conversation with the local publican, shop keeper, mechanic etc asking about the area your interested in. Someone usually always knows the property owner or a story of people getting gold around there, empowering you with more knowledge.
Remember you don't generally have to knock on every door, once you get access to one it often cascades around onto there neighbors giving you more and more contacts.
First inspection Id take a six pack of there preferred brew, if I'm finding gold and returning, a carton every couple days will keep the owner happy.
Take a bit more time to pinpoint accurately and dig as small a hole as possible. Even in a paddock in the middle of nowhere, the farmer will notice. Try to keep it clean and stomp the dirt back down as your back filling.
I'm not a big fan of just wandering around abandoned looking homesteads trying to find someone either, and have found this method works reasonably well.
Couple of other tips, leave your dog at home and take your missus if possible, you get a lot better response from old farmers with a woman around rather then your rough as guts mate.

DD

As above and always look presentable, look the person in the eye with a smile and a firm handshake. You will be mostly dealing with rural people and if you only know city ways they may be mistrusting of you. I find that if really know the history of the area (hunting for relics/coins) then this will sometimes impress them. I always offer the landowner the finds. Normally they will just give it back or refuse the offer. Good luck.

Tks guys for the responses, I guess being prepared and doing some research on the area helps pinpoint which dwelling to knock on. Unfortunately a lot of my trips I don't know where i'm going exactly until i'm already there. Diggerdude- I don't own a GPS yet so I'm assuming some GPS units may have this map info loaded?

I can't help that feeling of thinking as I rock up to someone's property.....the farmer is yelling to the kids get to your rooms, and asking the wife to go grab the shotgun dear, there's a strange vehicle driving on our property heading straight for the house.... or have I been watching too many city slicker movies?

DD has given you some pretty awesome advice, being from the country and gold bearing areas even knowing some of the landholders it can be awkward at times. Letting your fear get in the way won't help, some mistrust can be encountered at first, but is usually set aside pretty quick if you are genuine in your approach and intentions. The worst case is they don't want you there, they so no, but most will either not be too bothered, or very interested. Drive slow up to the house, watching for livestock and dust, if you open a gate shut it, and go directly to the door and knock if noone appears. Wandering around, or driving up like an idiot will have them on the back foot immediately. If noone is home, try the neighbours, almost always they will talk to each other regularly and be keeping an eye out for strangers. Open the conversation with your intentions, being direct will help, even country people hate door to door salesman, expressing it in terms of hobby and fun will go over well. Introduce yourself and give your name, again it helps build more rapport early. offering your hand for a handshake is often well recieved too, especially in the older faction. Once you get the conversation rolling its very easy to get a clear idea of whether you are going to get permission or not. If they say no just ask about the local area, public and private spots you could go, often it turns up new leads and info. And if you do get permission try and outline a clear timeframe so you can follow up with a second conversation or take some details to thank the owner. To many people rush to thank them in the first convo and disappear without a proper follow up. It sounds weird but is a bit like asking for a date, be polite and not too shy,accept a no, and leave them feeling good about your intentions, works for me.

I'm also wondering if there is a specific time of day that works the best. Can't imagine turning up in the dark and getting a warm reception!

Twapster said:
I'm also wondering if there is a specific time of day that works the best. Can't imagine turning up in the dark and getting a warm reception!

Obviously super early or late in the day wont be welcome- think about how you would like to be disturbed at home by someone on your property. Knock on some doors and ask politely and be prepared to politely receive a "no"- better to get a no rather than being charged with trespass...Can't imagine you'll get a warm reception several kilometers up GG creek without permission.

Simple fact is the land owner needs to know who is on his/her property for a whole bunch of reasons. I know for a fact a number of people have entered some of the paddocks around GG without permission, left gates open and mixed pure breed stock with x breed, which last time it happen took over two weeks for one of the land owners to sort out. The land owner has also had gates snapped off and locks cut.

The land owners also need to know if there are people around if they intend to conduct pest control on their property and if they are likely to endanger peoples lives. People have also been leaving massive holes and rubbish around- this is stuff that endangers live stock and farming livelihoods.

At the end of the day the good faith of the land owners shouldn't be abused. Word travels fast amongst rural areas, especially about bad fossicking behavior and as access to areas gets more limited, we need to do everything we can to show that fossickers are respectful and responsible people to ensure areas stay open.

Some great advise there guys, if you want to get an invite back then leave the livestock alone, fill you holes, dont shoot ANYTHING. actually leave the guns at home if you have them. Respect is what counts, remember we are in their workplace / home.

Cheers, Tone

I also found when looking for hunting properties that mentioning that another set of eyes on the ground with permission helps keep the poachers at bay...

Colin&Lee said:
Twapster said:

Obviously super early or late in the day wont be welcome- think about how you would like to be disturbed at home by someone on your property. Knock on some doors and ask politely and be prepared to politely receive a "no"- better to get a no rather than being charged with trespass...Can't imagine you'll get a warm reception several kilometers up GG creek without permission.

Simple fact is the land owner needs to know who is on his/her property for a whole bunch of reasons. I know for a fact a number of people have entered some of the paddocks around GG without permission, left gates open and mixed pure breed stock with x breed, which last time it happen took over two weeks for one of the land owners to sort out. The land owner has also had gates snapped off and locks cut.

The land owners also need to know if there are people around if they intend to conduct pest control on their property and if they are likely to endanger peoples lives. People have also been leaving massive holes and rubbish around- this is stuff that endangers live stock and farming livelihoods.

At the end of the day the good faith of the land owners shouldn't be abused. Word travels fast amongst rural areas, especially about bad fossicking behavior and as access to areas gets more limited, we need to do everything we can to show that fossickers are respectful and responsible people to ensure areas stay open.

Too true Colin, GG is a prime example. I was lucky enough on my last trip to meet a fellow that knew the owner and he asked permission on our behalf, however you could start at the Bridge and walk for miles either way! Ive seen some posts where people indicate you can stick to the river but its pretty obvious its all private land. If I was on my own I might have spent all day just looking for the right door to knock on. The time before I stayed near the bridge but saw a few groups marching deep upstream!

Twapster said:
Colin&Lee said:
Twapster said:

Too true Colin, GG is a prime example. I was lucky enough on my last trip to meet a fellow that knew the owner and he asked permission on our behalf, however you could start at the Bridge and walk for miles either way! Ive seen some posts where people indicate you can stick to the river but its pretty obvious its all private land. If I was on my own I might have spent all day just looking for the right door to knock on. The time before I stayed near the bridge but saw a few groups marching deep upstream!

I don't go to GG but don't see anything wrong with walking upstream. I reckon it's a rort property owners trying to charge money to access public fossicking areas.

DD

Agree DD there should be a balance between owners rights and common rights, a lot of beautiful river access can be choked by private fences, just as beaches are public even with properties lining the coast. Unfortunately places like GG are a prime example of inland systems that are difficult to access without permission unless you stick to the bridge....which has been worked quite a bit.

I hear conflicting stories about what rights people have in walking a river system, I don't know so I cant comment.

Have Yooz tried putting an ad in gum tree or what ever ? ;)
Permission Wanted
G'day, My names Joe Blow bla bla bla i fossik/prospect bla bla bla. just be super nice and talk it up.

Gumtree is a left field approach IMHO, and unsure if a farmer or landholder would be looking for that add while searching for livestock / farm tools etc.

However, I will like to add, from my relatives who run dairy properties in QLD, when you go and when you have been accepted to wander around please do the following;

- don't disturb the cows
- LEAVE THE GATE AS IT WAS ! !

Thus, if the gates open, its open for a reason, if it was closed, close it when you went through it.

Same for fences, we had some doorknob pry open barbed wire fence with a great big stick so they could walk through it easier and left the stick in it, alas, small calves fit through the gap too.

My uncle says the best advise is to ask openly and honestly to his face with manners and common courtesy of course :) Just don't upset their livelihood :)

Twapster said:
Agree DD there should be a balance between owners rights and common rights, a lot of beautiful river access can be choked by private fences, just as beaches are public even with properties lining the coast. Unfortunately places like GG are a prime example of inland systems that are difficult to access without permission unless you stick to the bridge....which has been worked quite a bit.

I hear conflicting stories about what rights people have in walking a river system, I don't know so I cant comment.

If you start at a bridge or roadside and walk up river.
You must stay within 18 feet of the riverbank.
This is classified as crown land.
If you are approached by a property owner. Don't jump on the back foot and say I'm allowed to be here.
Be respectful." Hi mate, how you doing " before they ask you to leave. And cause a seen.
There are only 3 rivers that I know of in Vic that are owned by the land owners
And none of them are gold bearing.
But do hold some really nice trout.

I know what its like to go and knock on the door to ask for permission to fish/prospect
I'm shy about it too.
But you never know. Unless you ask.
They sometimes let you drive down to the river/creek and will check on you later to see how you went.
I've even had them come down and help out.
Always say goodbye before you leave.

Haha this walking up a creek idea is going to have a few people up some sort of creek. Mark my word legal or not its just going to upset people. But I'll keep that in mind next time i pay my public liability insurance, I'll ask for a discount as the water courses aren't included! But hey if your game to see the pointy end of peoples response go for it, I just hope noone gets in over their head

Goldtarget said:
Haha this walking up a creek idea is going to have a few people up some sort of creek. Mark my word legal or not its just going to upset people. But I'll keep that in mind next time i pay my public liability insurance, I'll ask for a discount as the water courses aren't included! But hey if your game to see the pointy end of peoples response go for it, I just hope noone gets in over their head

Haha
I never said its the right thing to do.
I try and always let people know I'm there. And always ask.
So I know where your coming from. Some people are going to find themselves up another sort of creek.
But it is legal to stick to the water course

Goldtarget said:

No probs GT, I totally understand the sensitivities of people on or even near ones property. My Dad has a car space in front of our house and gets annoyed when someone parks there....I'm always reminding him that "his spot" is public property.

A river whether on, or thru private property is like a hallway right in the middle of your home. I certainly wouldn't be happy with every Tom, Dick, or Harry waltzing through without the courtesy of saying G'day and asking nicely.

My purpose of this post is to get some hints, tips etc for blokes who are a little on the shy side when it comes to even stepping near someone's land...what works and what may not have worked for them. I'm now wondering how many times prospectors have been given a flat no with marching orders....that would be an uncomfortable situation if you get an evil "no" as opposed to a polite "sorry not today mate". Would ruin my mood for the day!

Quick update on topic that came out from today.....I had a chance meeting with a prospector I've never met before out in the bush and got chatting. Turns out He had been eyeing off a private spot that I frequent and after chatting about this very subject I took him up to the place to have a chat to the owner. The strangest twist happened though, all three of us were chatting away, and another spot that has been locked up for many years came up, and my new mate goes on to inform me that he has access to the place on account of knowing the owner!

I took a couple of things from this chance meeting today, firstly extended the hand of friendship to a fellow prospector is something that should be encouraged. All in all we are mostly a pretty good bunch. Secondly there's enough out there for us all to share, even the good spots. And lastly you never know who or what someone else knows, and makes it 100% easier to get access if sometime can vouch for you. I'm a big believer in life that you get what you give, and today was just another example of that.

Latest posts