Electronics Problem with G Pro Pointer!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adelaide Retiree

John Croser
Reaction score
Hi I have a Garrett Pro Pointer i use with my Minelab 5000. Does anyone have a problem with Pro Pointers upsetting your detector?? I was up at Euchunga,out of Adelaide.Started out no problems---then it went crazy,no sense out of it at all. Realised the PPointer could be the problem, as i hadn't used it before. Took it back to my car,then no problems!!
I heard that if you wrap them in aluminium foil this will stop the problem??? Has anyone had a problem with Pro Pointers?? Has anyone tried wrapping foil around them to fix the problem?? The PPointer works well,but seems to upset the electronics!! Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. Adelaide Retiree.

I think some minelabs have probs with the Garret PP, as I went all Garret I obviously avoided this, as would have going all Minelab.

I went Garret because the closest shop selling MDs had Garrets.

All PI detectors have a problem with the Garrett Propointer because the coil is not disconnected when switched off.

I have a control box cover on my 5000 which is where I keep my pointer, not that I really use it as I find using a scoop or hand to hand to be a lot faster than trying to cope with a falsing propointer

1392764312_img_20140219_095425.jpg

I have the PPointer affecting my Garrett ATX too. Make it go nuts. So just turn the thing off and its ok (the PPointer I mean) A bit of interference is small hassles for the amount of time it saves trying to find those pesky little pieces of wire that the detector finds.

Good thing, like the infinium, they are water and dust proof so you can drop the detector anywhere away from the hole, so the pinpointer doesn't cause it grief. I've been using a DD coil lately, the pinpointer doesn't affect it as much as it does when fitted with the mono coils.

Found out the Infinium and gpx5000 don't like being too near to each other when I was out with Condor22 the other day. ;)

Latest posts