Dunolly, Moliagul and Tarnagulla

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mick64

Michael Ortiz
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm thinking about heading back to Dunolly next week for 3 days as my last trip (my first trip) I stumbled upon a small quartz reef which looked liked it hadn't been worked (I don't know for sure), chunks of square blocks poking out of the ground intact, only about 20mtrs long and just happened to stumble upon it as I was wandering aimlessly through the bush at the time. At the time I had a VLF, but there was too much mineralisation around the quartz so I'm heading back with my new SDC and give it a test ride on this reef. After this I was thinking about heading to Moliagul and Tarnagulla. I don't know much about the areas so just wanting to is it worth leaving Dunolly and checking these two sites out?

Thanks
Mick

Hi Mick, my "goto" spot after trying new places where I turn up zilch is Dunolly NE. Maryborough has also been kind to me (smaller nuggets), but nothing at Tarnagulla (albeit I gave up after a few days, so means nothing - except to me). Moliagul turned up a couple of 2 grammers. Good luck out there.

Thanks BW, yeh I got hold of some Maryborough maps, I'll look at these over the weekend and Geovic and suss out a couple of areas

G'day Mick

As per Big Wave suggests a trip to Tarnagulla 2 mths ago with sdc turned up very little for me where the same area 2 yrs ago was turning out 5 to 6 little bits a day , reckon it has had an sdc and Z flogging over that time

Good luck :)

So tell me we're it is, I'll test if for you mate let you know if it's worth your while :D :Y:

Bacchus said:
G'day Mick

As per Big Wave suggests a trip to Tarnagulla 2 mths ago with sdc turned up very little for me where the same area 2 yrs ago was turning out 5 to 6 little bits a day , reckon it has had an sdc and Z flogging over that time

Good luck :)

Thanks Bacchus,

:)

dunollyman said:
So tell me we're it is, I'll test if for you mate let you know if it's worth your while :D :Y:

I know the track I turned off and just headed bush in the 4x4, I got a fair idea where it is as I remember I couldn't drive any further so I hiked into bush for about twenty minutes and just came across it.

I should have taken a photo, this time around I will :Y:

Small unmarked reefs are great. I found a small reef south of Dunolly with surfacing and found a beautiful specimen with 3 oz. of gold in it just next to a large hole dug into the reef.No problem for my old VLF. Bushwhacking by foot or trail bike is the way to find them. I used to have an IT 175 Yamaha for prospecting.

oldtimerROB said:
Small unmarked reefs are great. I found a small reef south of Dunolly with surfacing and found a beautiful specimen with 3 oz. of gold in it just next to a large hole dug into the reef.No problem for my old VLF. Bushwhacking by foot or trail bike is the way to find them. I used to have an IT 175 Yamaha for prospecting.

I've had 2 IT 175 s love those little bikes. They go well when they are tuned properly.

I bought mine second hand from the Yamaha dealer in Castlemaine.The motor was like new and I used to race it around the Muckleford forest narrow tracks when I came home from work just to relax from being stuck in an office all day.

Its great to hear when they say it was found near dunolly because thats a really good indicator to focus your efforts anywhere but dunolly.

So far my 35 - 40 hrs in the GT has netted me around 70 fuggets and zero gold , fortunately wet work with the banker was more kind to me.

Latest posts