Dry Washers for Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may have already mentioned this but here we go again :)
Apart fom myself, Goldiggs,DD
who else has run a Dry Washer in Vic?
Im interested to know the success story and if your brave enough to share the failure
story too.
Gold digga n i know the value of research and this method is a sure fire way of pitting your research skills,
not to mention the need to take plenty of H2o, dehydration can get you in winter!

So, now that ramble is out..............
i hand the microphone to you lot :)

I have only had one outing with a keene 140 and that was with DiggerDude a few months ago around Ararat. Everything was still very dry. Diggerdude identified some promosing piles of dirt and we proceeded to run it through for a test. After 10 mins of dryblowing we emptied the tray and panned her out. The result was a nice looking little speci' that put a grin on both our faces.

The day highlighted the humble dry blowers versatility. With the summers long and hot we probably have not used them over in the Eastern states to our advantage. I am now in the plans of making one with the hope it will be ready to go for next summer.

I am always keen for a dig..

Cheers,
Matt

Not being able to DIY I will in all probability by one "off the shelf" .... am thinking Keene Mighty Midget, battery powered.
Agree it's pretty dry and dusty down here in summer and believe the definitely have a place as many likely spots are some distance from reliable (or indeed any) water.
If anyone has used one or seem them in action I'd love to hear of your exoerience.
Cheers Tom

I have one,and you will not be disappointed nice and lite,very little noise,and not a lot dust and they get through a lot of material.
I bought mine from Reeds in WA,cheaper than the states.

Thedigger

thedigger said:
I have one,and you will not be disappointed nice and lite,very little noise,and not a lot dust and they get through a lot of material.
I bought mine from Reeds in WA,cheaper than the states.

Thedigger

What did you pay for that one, i cant decide between building and the midget, or the 140 kit. Do you go out often, i am a keen shoveller :D .....and can supply bluebowl....

Ben

I guess its like Lego and Lego ( in SA ) the say Lago..................go figure.
its the instrument of war, so its title to me is insignificant, it works, so ill just keep Dry Washing, lol

As long as it holds this stuff eh :) bit of creswick dust
1401354974_tmp_20140528_213506-1491608036.jpg

Ben $1150

The two strokes make noise and dust,and I feel it will give the greens & parks excuse to ban them on the ground in dry weather they might start a fire,not that is likely to happen but,they can twist anything and they have plenty of people to make their case,so I believe we should not give them any grounds what so ever,so the way I put it is that we should keep our heads.

Thedigger

thedigger said:
Ben $1150

The two strokes make noise and dust,and I feel it will give the greens & parks excuse to ban them on the ground in dry weather they might start a fire,not that is likely to happen but,they can twist anything and they have plenty of people to make their case,so I believe we should not give them any grounds what so ever,so the way I put it is that we should keep our heads.

Thedigger

I doubt it mate all engines sold in australain are required by law to have a spark arrestor installed. Theres no real risk of a fire any more than parking your car on the grass.

All of the parks inspectors ive met love tge drywashing concept.

KeeponDiggin said:
I guess its like Lego and Lego ( in SA ) the say Lago..................go figure.
its the instrument of war, so its title to me is insignificant, it works, so ill just keep Dry Washing, lol

How do you pronounce tomato? Hehe

Hey ben if I can offer you one bit of advice. Think about how you plan on using your equipment and buy to suit. I would love a little puffer style unit thats queit but the reality is I like to get alot of material processed in limited time. The puffer style 140 will process 1/4 the capacity as its blower fitted brother. The real benefit I think to buying the blower style is if you decide to go bigger you can keep the grizzly, frame and counterbalance and just upgrade to a larger catchbox. Downside is your missus smelling fuel throught the truck :)

Thats diggerdude there :) yep he makes a living and guess what he moves plenty of material

I agree mate the quality of material you put through is paramount but if you want to make good gold and aren't affraid of hard work you can use a blower to get good gold in poor alluvium. Its a matter of preference really.

The main benefit I get from my homemade drywasher is bing able to take large samples for loaming. It works for me anyway.

Maybe we should organise a day out where we all have a dig and those who are thinking about gettinh one can have a crack at a few models

Any day I'm free I would love to have a gander and a shovel GD, detecting in the heat isn't much joy, I'm an alluvial bloke at heart with many good areas that after the water of winter disappears id love another option, these are killer machines.

Happy to have a dig over your way one day mate if ya keen. I havent spent much time around bendigo but my uncle and grampa did ok over there in the 80s :)

Latest posts