Down the beach with the Ace250

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since i got myself a pinpointer yesterday arvo i had to go test it out. I went to another bark covered playground early this morning. I really expected to do quite well as this is a pretty popular spot, but wasnt to be. It may just be that others have been here already. I did find 1x$2 and 2x 5c , a couple of buttons and an earring along with the rubbish.i will return here again after the school holidays to see what has been left behind .
1404513545_image.jpg

It is winter and quite cold so i dont suppose these places get the exposure like warmer times.

I took a detour on my way home and stopped at a popular skate park to have a look around . In theory ( in my head anyway) this place would have great potential. That was until i turned the detector on. I gave up very quickly. I dont think there was a 1/2" gap between any targets anywhere within a 100 metres of the place. The screwdriver method would have to give way to the not so preferred... Open Cut method .Maybe would have to target very specifically.
Now im heading off to the outlaws farm ... We'll see...

hi SANDTA. the reality and learning curve of detecting is that this hobby is growing very quickly. a year or so ago I would find about $50 in 8/10 hrs,doing schools,parks etc.now I am lucky to find $5. look at the number of guests at any particular time,and many of them will be out swinging soon too. there is a lot of competition for sites. the most obvious will have been flogged. in my small town there is one school and one public playground. I know of four guys with detectors. tho there would prob. be more. so it is hard going. you need to think out side of the proverbial - square, research for
new ones. HH

I agree with slipped disc, a lot more are getting detectors and like most of us start in the tot lots to figure out how to use it. I have changed from my starting days to the beach as the targets are brought in from the sea and re deposited on a daily basis. In saying that the early bird on the beach gets the finds. I would suggest looking at big parks and going for a wander out of the usual areas that would already be cleaned out and see how you go. It will amaze you when you find small coin spills away from the play grounds

It's certainly not easy to find good honey holes of coins anymore, occasionally you get lucky and find a neglected area that seemed to escape the attention of the growing mob of new detectorists. No doubt about it, large popular tot lots are no.1 on the list of these guys and gals for the easy pickings, so I tend to give them a miss now, preferring back street parks and playgrounds for that quick fix of discovering a few $$. Also to start up detecting in winter has its vices, there is simply not much deposited on a daily basis, and that goes for the beaches too.

It's good in a way, because it forces you to widen your scope for places to go detecting, maybe places that you hadn't thought of going, as the usual areas were usually just too tempting to have a quick detect at. After having such good luck during the summer months, it can wear a bit thin when you have nothing but a bag full of junk with only a couple of coins to show for your efforts. This is a good time to invest in a small sniper coil, and go hunting in areas with high number of junk targets, places that are usually put in the too hard basket on the larger coils and in the more lucrative summer season.

Junky areas can also mean high traffic areas as well, so go after anything with good repeatable signals on both swings of the coil. The sixpence I got the other day was sitting amongst many othet targets, and most likely overlooked for that reason, but it was a repeatable target all the same.

Using the Ace with any other coil other than the sniper, will lead to difficulty in target separation and misleading signal responses as the detector struggles to cope with multiple targets under the coil at any one time. As I have mentioned previously, if you had to chose any two coils to own with either the 250 or 350/Euroace, they would be the large DD for best depth, handling of mineralisation, target separation and pinpointing ability, plus the small sniper coil for the above mentioned reasons, plus the ability to get very close to metal objects like play equipment, fences and pathways with steel reinforcement.

With persistence and some patience, you should have some success, just don't expect to come home with a bag full of cash and jewellery every single day/night. :)

Too many people use credit cards for everything these days, hardly any people carry cash. :( A lot more detectorists though.

I did 2 hours at a beach car park the other day and got $35, was one of my best coin hauls for time spent. Did all around the carpark curbs where people sit and put their shoes back on after the beach. Tried the same approach at another beach car park and got nothing. Finding a spot that escaped attention as Goldpick said is pretty difficult but can happen.

Wherever you detect Sandta have a look at the scene and think, hmmmmm where is a great place to sit and relax......... Detect there and it will usually pay a little.

Google Earth and the "historical imagery" in the view tab is your friend too, sometimes it has captured a pic of where everyone congregates on say weekends at sports fields or beaches.

Might go check out the back of our local pub soon where many years ago people who had had a few too many were seen para and asleep on the grass out the back. :)

Inspired by TheFosickingKid ,i took the Ace250 down the beach this arvo for a couple of hours after work.
1412248340_image.jpg

Not a bad result...
$19.25 in spendables (including a very crusty 20c , but alas ...not a wavy 8.( )
Did quite well in regard to the junk ratio too...
And found a nice chunky 925 ring :D
1412248782_image.jpg

Pretty happy with that lot :D
Thanks Kid

Ring a ding ding Sandta,....and look at all of those coins,.....ahhhhh the ACE250 does it again(hehehe).well done,....well done.

Nice work, wish the depositors would hurry up and drop something on our beaches, cmon hot weather! I love the Ace when working dry sand, has to be my favourite detector for swinging over large areas due to its weight and bell tones for goldies. :)

Gday Slipped Disc , same beach i took the sov last,
went over the same area that other bloke got all his coins .... Plus extended my search either side of that

unintentionally cutting his grass,...I like that,....sometimes other people need to feel what that's like so they don't strip it all away,....I think your learning him something there Sandta,.....a good thing(well done). And it shows a high degree of learning in the saddle and while on the move.

Nice hunting Sandta - my only thoughts are I wonder what targets you missed because you weren't using the Sovereign???

I know once I got the Sovereign the Ace came out once or twice and then retired it! For parks it was tops but the beach ... well needless to say I never found a gold ring with it and not much silver either. If you want modern coins then the Ace pulls them ... if you want "real" treasure on the beach you want to stick with the Sov... ;)

Each to their own re the detectors, they both have their place on the beach under certain circumstances, but more importantly, so long as you are having fun on the day is the main thing. :)

Goldpick said:
Each to their own re the detectors, they both have their place on the beach under certain circumstances, but more importantly, so long as you are having fun on the day is the main thing. :)

Fun is #1 for sure - it's just I found the Sov punches much deeper than the Ace and Sandta owns both ... I wouldn't want him to miss out on the gold ;)

OK I'll bite, how much are the sovereigns, and what is the best price you got one for?.

Hey there Silver ... Well i just have to boast, since you asked the question .
The consensus is around $400-$600 apparently..
I picked mine up for $50 off gumtree :D :D :D
I did have to sort out a couple of issues , but it works .... Works well :p

Maybe I will keep an eye out and join the club in the future when the situation arises, as it's only ever what you make of it Sandta. It's always the hard yards before the just rewards,....ceptin we've all got a good heads up on the goodies whereabouts, and that's what makes all the difference in these types of situations.

Latest posts