Doug Stone Metal Detecting for Gold in Australia book

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it just maps and several detector descriptions or is there something more?
Does it worth $130?
Is it a good book for a beginner?

It's a good composition of gold locations around Australia for reference.
A lot of the locations identified need futher investigation before heading out there. A lot in say NSW are on private property say.
taking all information in it as gospel, could get you into trouble with research.
A book of such is an easy way to look a town/location when not behind the computer etc.
$130 is a bit pricey for it I beleive.

iddqd said:
Is it just maps and several detector descriptions or is there something more?
Low-res maps, old detector descriptions and some basic guidance on where to hunt when you're prospecting old gold workings. There's also some historic details and photos, which you may or may not be interested in.

iddqd said:
Does it worth $130?
If you're a mad keen old book collector and it's a first edition in prime condition, autographed by the author - maybe. If you're just starting prospecting and want an introductory guide, save your money: there's plenty of copies around of later editions for between $25-$40

iddqd said:
Is it a good book for a beginner?

It's OK, I guess - I can't think of any better for $25-$40, but there's nothing magic in it. A day's training on a goldfield with a pro will teach you far more and better maps are readily available as needed.

grubstake said:
Low-res maps, old detector descriptions and ... There's also some historic details and photos, which you may or may not be interested in.

do not need.

grubstake said:
some basic guidance on where to hunt when you're prospecting old gold workings.

Mightbe need.

grubstake said:
A day's training on a goldfield with a pro will teach you far more and better maps are readily available as needed.

ok. probably just save money on books, watch youtube for free and use this suggestion about a pro when have a chance :Y:

mudgee hunter said:
Check out the "gold hounds"? On YouTube. Good veiwing RE-QLD

I found something named "Goldhounds Nugget Recovery". Do you mean them? (only 6 videos)