Dogs or black fox? Stock issues.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want my cut 🤣🤣🤣
Old friend..
There are so many bushman lines that most wouldn't have a clue what they mean.
The most unique of Clark's explanatory phrases I leant recently..
"The dogs are just coming into step"
He uses what's he call a stepping stick, a stick placed in a position according to the orientation of his scent lure position to make a dog step over and on to the trap.
Lure scents take time to create or gather, he extracts the urine from the bladders of caught dogs, sometimes the lure is femented horse hoof, sometimes it's fresh calf scat he waits for to collect. Sometimes it's a potent fat extract but that's not good in areas with goanna.
His biggest problem is the cows he is trying to save, they are inquisitive and attracted to the trap site a wreck it.
Will pigs are smart enough to expose and dig the trap out.

Thanks Scott.... Wow... This is not going to be easy... Don't think I will be playing with Dead Lamb Bladders tho...:oops: Leave that to someone else...

:D...... Might be going out in a few days to use the Super Moon's light to our advantage... .. If We find where they are getting in We will try some ideas that You and Other Members have suggested.....
Im new to this and My 'Know all" mate hasn't a clue, going by what i have learnt in the past few days...:rolleyes:🤣🤣... But I love Him..

LW...

Moonlit nights are generally pretty poor when calling in foxes - I guess dogs will be similar. If you are out in moonlight, stay in the shadows and try to stand/sit in front of something large to hide your silhouette - big gum tree, shed, etc.
Thats what We are doing... So , Plan A....... There's an old 2 story house that has a perfect view over one of the main paddocks... We are well hidden and up nice and high.. The Moonlight will hide Us but light up the area.. Hopefully it won't be too bright... Rain is forecast so may be no moon.... Most sheep will be moved to another safe paddock and only Lambs and Mums in this one... .. They will need to walk straight past us (100m)following the fence line to get to these sheep. Going by 2 well used entry points being found today. But We can see them moving along this fence nice and clear and once a few are there , We will ambush them with 3 shooters...:eek:... Fingers crossed we don't need Plan B...😁

LW...

Hopefully it might just work, It has for others i have seen on Youtube.. Any dog We get is one less... They have Destroyed the Rabbits now, so they will hit the lambs again very soon... No bunnies spotted in 4 days when they were plentiful in this spot...

Just have to do the leg-work and find their lairs..... And .......:rolleyes:

LW...
Hey mate, you won't see any Bunnies up in the Warwick area, the Bunny fence runs just north of The Summit down here in the Granite belt.

Also following another comment on Foxes killing for fun, they very much do. A farmer we knew in Young used to get an almost 100% lamb kill every night from Foxes, that stopped instantly when we loaned him some Alpaca weathers. He used to go out spotlighting and never saw one in the paddock when the Alpacas were there, they were all behind the fence watching, made shooting a whole heap easier.

Hey mate, you won't see any Bunnies up in the Warwick area, the Bunny fence runs just north of The Summit down here in the Granite belt.

Also following another comment on Foxes killing for fun, they very much do. A farmer we knew in Young used to get an almost 100% lamb kill every night from Foxes, that stopped instantly when we loaned him some Alpaca weathers. He used to go out spotlighting and never saw one in the paddock when the Alpacas were there, they were all behind the fence watching, made shooting a whole heap easier.
Quite a few sheep farmers around here run Alpacas with the flock for the same reason.

We have them, Bunnies 10km south of Warwick, Pratten, Thanes Ck, Glendon not in massive numbers, but they are there........ Fences don't stop Rabbits.... Just like the big Signs that read $60,000 fine for rabbits in QLD. won't stop them either........ ;)

LW...

We have them, Bunnies 10km south of Warwick, Pratten, Thanes Ck, Glendon not in massive numbers, but they are there........ Fences don't stop Rabbits.... Just like the big Signs that read $60,000 fine for rabbits in QLD. won't stop them either........ ;)

LW...
We're south of the fence and haven't seen any evidence of bunnies, nor live ones on our property, likewise no evidence of foxes, maybe the Quolls are controlling them!

Latest posts