Dogs or black fox? Stock issues.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What am I doing....? .... Not too sure ATM... Sitting, Cold and waiting for these Foxes/Dogs ? to come out of their Lair.... Been attacking sheep and Lambs to the tune of 21 so far and thats since Saturday night... So we are 'waiting' for them to appear... 6 Lambs in a nice cleared paddock should lure them in...

Do We have Black Foxes in Australia?, Cause i think We might have one here.. Maybe ? Looks like one for a short second.. Something Big and Black hides in this cave... With the most Evil eyes that are the brightest Yellow i have ever seen... Dog ?... Foxes are red Eyed aren't they ?....😖

LW...

What am I doing....? .... Not too sure ATM... Sitting, Cold and waiting for these Foxes/Dogs ? to come out of their Lair.... Been attacking sheep and Lambs to the tune of 21 so far and thats since Saturday night... So we are 'waiting' for them to appear... 6 Lambs in a nice cleared paddock should lure them in...

Do We have Black Foxes in Australia?, Cause i think We might have one here.. Maybe ? Looks like one for a short second.. Something Big and Black hides in this cave... With the most Evil eyes that are the brightest Yellow i have ever seen... Dog ?... Foxes are red Eyed aren't they ?....😖

LW...
Interesting, I watch dog trapping on YouTube, seen a fox the other day that was almost orange..

Thats an Omen there 20x...
These are too smart for a Trap... Dog or Fox or...... That is the question... Have to be sure before a Bullet is Fired....

LW...

https://sportingshooter.com.au/in-australia/the-black-fox/Why do you need to be sure before shooting? Ferals killing stock....
I totally agree.... But must obey orders of Farm owner... Who is starting to realise that He actually has a very big problem... Identify and then shoot... But im willing to take the shot and see what comes up... Thats why He won't give me the gun... 😖

Thanks for that Matt.... Well they do exist, but im not quite sure this is a Fox... Its on the larger size after looking at the pics in that article of Foxes... Im leaning to Wild Dogs... Do Foxes kill for Fun ?.. . .

I know Dogs will and thats what's been happening i feel... Some are totally eaten, most, just killed and mostly intact and a few with broken necks... Costing this Farmer heaps in lost stock...

LW...

Last edited:
I totally agree.... But must obey orders of Farm owner... Who is starting to realise that He actually has a very big problem... Identify and then shoot... But im willing to take the shot and see what comes up... Thats why He won't give me the gun... 😖

Thanks for that Matt.... Well they do exist, but im not quite sure this is a Fox... Its on the larger size after looking at the pics in that article of Foxes... Im leaning to Wild Dogs... Do Foxes kill for Fun ?.. . .

I know Dogs will and thats what's been happening i feel... Some are totally eaten, most, just killed and mostly intact and a few with broken necks... Costing this Farmer heaps in lost stock...

LW...

They are much easier to identify after the shot has been fired. If it's taking out stock then surely it has to go regardless, unless it's a protected species of native but that's unlikely.

Thats why He won't give me the gun... 😖
🤣 Can’t imagine what he thinks he is trying to protect by not shooting first, identify later.

Foxes will pretty much never kill a healthy adult sheep. They aren’t capable. Or break a neck. They are often only able to kill a lamb if the mother is not strong enough to protect it.

A puma will kill 1 sheep and eat it out. Rinse and repeat a few days later.

Dogs will kill in packs and leave injured and dead stock everywhere, often eating very little. Bar-steads of things (does that pass the PC test? 😊).

I have no idea what a Yowie, Sasquatch or abominable snowman might do but I wouldn’t seek to 100% identify first 🤣

Thermal would be your best friend in this instance as shining lights at dogs is likely to see them high tail it out of there.

Hope you get it sorted 👍🏻

Thanks for the reply's Fellas... All info has been taken on board... And We have cone to the conclusion that they are Dogs doing this.... My limited farming tells me that He has a BIG Dog problem... Not 1 or 2 doing this but a pack or 2 ........ Time to take action ....

... We will get them, just takes time.... And yes they are cunning Bar-steads :)D)......

Looking into some Thermal Gear as well... Going back out to Warwick next week for a Serious Hunt..... This is Fun...

I also spoke to the Local Yowie and He tells me He is a Vegan, so its not Him...😂🤣

LW....

Thanks for the reply's Fellas... All info has been taken on board... And We have cone to the conclusion that they are Dogs doing this.... My limited farming tells me that He has a BIG Dog problem... Not 1 or 2 doing this but a pack or 2 ........ Time to take action ....

... We will get them, just takes time.... And yes they are cunning Bar-steads :)D)......

Looking into some Thermal Gear as well... Going back out to Warwick next week for a Serious Hunt..... This is Fun...

I also spoke to the Local Yowie and He tells me He is a Vegan, so its not Him...😂🤣

LW....
On YouTube..
Clark mcghie's wild county
Awesome Aussie bushman and dog trapper.

Been watching vids and taking notes.... Going to try a Fox whistle but I think I better practice my Howling... That looks like it works for Dogs...

Howl them in they say... Just watch Wolfie get attacked...o_O.... 🤣

LW....

Been watching vids and taking notes.... Going to try a Fox whistle but I think I better practice my Howling... That looks like it works for Dogs...

Howl them in they say... Just watch Wolfie get attacked...o_O.... 🤣

LW....
You will probably only get young uneducated dogs, an old dog will answer, come in only so far and then go right around you do get the source of the call up wind and then varnish.

Really good Youtube channel of a bloke who has all the latest thermal toys and arms. 'Hunt the night' is the name I think.

They're pricey but for a farmer with a huge dog problem they are probably economical and also tax deductable.
The Owner is in Sydney as i type looking at different Thermal gadgets among 'Other' things.... He buy it and We use it... I like that way...:D
I will look 'Hunt the Night' up... sounds interesting ...

LW....

The
The Owner is in Sydney as i type looking at different Thermal gadgets among 'Other' things.... He buy it and We use it... I like that way...:D
I will look 'Hunt the Night' up... sounds interesting ...

LW....
They way Clark thinks it is...
Thermals do more damage than good, he let's the dogs think they own the night, every missed dog learns and makes it harder for a trapper or Thermal shooter.

You will probably only get young uneducated dogs, an old dog will answer, come in only so far and then go right around you do get the source of the call up wind and then varnish.
Hopefully it might just work, It has for others i have seen on Youtube.. Any dog We get is one less... They have Destroyed the Rabbits now, so they will hit the lambs again very soon... No bunnies spotted in 4 days when they were plentiful in this spot...

Just have to do the leg-work and find their lairs..... And .......:rolleyes:

LW...

Hopefully it might just work, It has for others i have seen on Youtube.. Any dog We get is one less... They have Destroyed the Rabbits now, so they will hit the lambs again very soon... No bunnies spotted in 4 days when they were plentiful in this spot...

Just have to do the leg-work and find their lairs..... And .......:rolleyes:

That's the hard way, shoot some rabbits, drag them behind a vehicle around the property, the dogs will follow it, the rest you have to learn from Clark's vids.
Some really interesting info he has, its awesome mate ey

It's all about 'how do you make a dog put his foot right where you want it' out of all that bush!
It's an art!

Latest posts