Do Modern Detectors see into Rock and Quartz?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lost a bit said:
mbasko can you hurry up and get that new ML so we can go test it out.

:lol: I'm going as fast as I can. To be honest I don't mind dragging the chain a bit - too bloody hot around here at the moment. Got onto a couple of options today & waiting on Minelab to verify serial numbers etc. before I go too far.
p.s. those were some nice specci's ya's showed me this morning

resilientg said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this and trying to get some info so that i can figure out what machine to buy and how and where to start playing.

The area that i intend to start in is in some wet and dry creek beds, and surrounding valleys in Northern Queensland.

So my first question is i know that gold has been found in different locations in the surrounding area (within 5 klm radius of my chosen site), but when i have walked the areas that i would like to start in its covered in heaps of granite and quartz etc.

So do detectors actually see into solid objects like stone or crystal etc? And if so to what sort of depth?

What I'm trying to do is to determine do i have to scan over the rocks etc, or move all of them out of the way to get to the bottom of the creek beds etc.

Sorry if this seems like a vague question, hopefully the questions will get better as i learn :)

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

Hey Matt
What general area are you in??
Have you done any research how the deposits are formed in your area & what indicators to concentrate around as this will narrow your search, but the short answer is yes to a degree.
cheers
Lee

Not a chance that this actually happened. No detector currently made will detect a pull tab a metre deep.
I read a similar thing and can't remember if it was this forum or not but a very experienced detectorist said no store detector would pick up gold at 1m but aluminium or iron I don't know. A ring pull is pretty small too.
It will not be long before you guys will be able to detect gold in a chinamans teeth on the other side of the world... :cool:

I read a similar thing and can't remember if it was this forum or not but a very experienced detectorist said no store detector would pick up gold at 1m but aluminium or iron I don't know. A ring pull is pretty small too.
My brother found a swan gold can buried about 600 deep, was funny as, called me over on the radio got there for the last part of the the dig, pissed myself, lest he found gold.

Latest posts