Digging in water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronpatrol

Cameron
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum, have done a fair bit of reading and learning.
I tried a new spot as there were people camping up where I wanted to go.
I had the mrs and kids so headed down river.
Anyways I found a bit of exposed bedrock and tried a bit of a crack that had grass growing.
I found gold whooo.
I'll be going back for sure as there were more places I wanted to try and explore.

This whole area has a few nice big rocks and rock patches in the water.
Is it worth digging up the river bed overburden to get to the bedrock underneath?

Once you dug up/picked up the loose and packed rocks how do you gather the stuff on the bottom? I was thinking maybe my yabbie pump just like a massive crevice.

Does anyone have experience in this sort of thing?
Thanks in advance
Cheers cam
:)

Welcome Cameron,

I use long handle Shovels (not spades). I have two, a trenching shovel and a post hole shovel - you will find these at the big Red and Green shed ;) and use the yabby pump to clean the bottom of hole. I use the trenching shovel more than anything because it get sinto tight spots and it's strong enough to use as a lever to move rocks.

casper

Thanks for the welcome fellas

Ok that's a good idea with the trenching shovel
I have a long handle that I take camping and in bogging the forby lol and a little camping spade the kids just had to have when I bought mine.
Very keen to have a go again.
Also I've picked up a diesel/oil sucker off eBay for about 6 bucks I think.
Yet to test it but I think if it holds out without breaking it could be a good thing also for crevices.
It's about the size of a basketball pump with hoses each end. And a one way silicone valve/flap.
Hopefully it's a good addition to the yabbie pump. :)
Thanks for the help
Cheers cam

There's a high probability that there is gold in the crevices in the bedrock underneath the water like the exposed crevice you got gold out of so well worth a look. Before you remove the overburden make sure it doesn't contain gold by sampling first. In the end you've got to make sure you know what you are processing and throwing away. Using a yabbie pump to get into underwater crevices will work really well but also snorkeling gear and small tools to loosen up the pack and for the tiny crevices.
Jon

blisters said:
There's a high probability that there is gold in the crevices in the bedrock underneath the water like the exposed crevice you got gold out of so well worth a look. Before you remove the overburden make sure it doesn't contain gold by sampling first. In the end you've got to make sure you know what you are processing and throwing away. Using a yabbie pump to get into underwater crevices will work really well but also snorkeling gear and small tools to loosen up the pack and for the tiny crevices.
Jon
I'm definitely up for using mask and snorkel once the water isn't so icy.
I watched fella on YouTube sniping I think it was called.

The spot where other were camping has a big rock I want to snorkel around.
If know one else has done it I reckon there has to be gold for sure.
It will take a fair while though.
Depending in after level last time I swam there to cool off it would be arnound 7-8 ft deep behind the rock.
Shouldn't be a problem just time consuming.
I've done a fair bit of free divining for scallops, I guess rock are just a little heavier lol.
Can't wait to get back out there.
Cheers cam

Latest posts