Digging "Fuggets"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep looking daz .. you might be in the right location but 100 yards from the spot .

Grease is no longer the word. I will be using Fugget from now on, you are a wordsmith!

The strangest Fugget I've had to date was what I thought was a horse shoe for a tiny little horse until someone explained to me that the miners used to tack them into the heels of their boots for grip, almost blew my ears out so I was sure it wasn't gold but its always better to have a look and just make sure.

Copper

Fuggets from a 3 day jaunt to Hill End, Windeyer and Maitland Bar. No Gold but plenty of fuggets! Weapon of choice SDC2300.

1412495457_cam00152-optimized.jpg

1412495457_cam00153-optimized.jpg

1412495457_cam00154-optimized.jpg

1412495457_cam00155-optimized.jpg

1412495457_cam00156-optimized.jpg

It only a mater of time :) I'm always happy when my fuggets are bullets and shot pellets as it reassures me that 1 - detector is working :) 2 - Not many people have been over the area where I am finding them, therefore increasing my chances of finding gold.

I hope the GPX 10,000 (when its developed) can only break threshold when gold is under the coil, would save a hell a lot of digging.

Its been a hell of a learning curve so far!

Cheers

I've had a nugget drought since my second ever find about six weeks back. I have had no trouble detecting Fuggets though!!

1412582940_fuggets.jpg

It's interesting digging these in thrashed areas because could it mean these areas are most probably not as detected as many of us assume?

This lot was from a spot in Maryborough, old diggings everywhere and evidence of detector enthusiasts not filling their holes in!

Or perhaps there have been a lot of VLF detectors run over this ground and the users have just not dug "all".....

Why would anyone re bury a target they just dug???

My simple brains says take it with me. The gold to trash ratio increases for me and all of you guys and girls when we detect next in that area.

I am the same Goldfield Joe, why are all these so called flogged areas still producing lead targets at depth?

"Why would anyone re bury a target they just dug???" Mate, I say that to myself often :) but too often I come across an obviously re-filled hole that still has a target in the loose soil, I suppose some people don't want to take rubbish with them. But in saying that, I too have found Shot pellets etc. in well detected areas in spots where the ground doesn't appear to have been dug, that just shouldn't be there.

Retirement Stone said:
I am the same Goldfield Joe, why are all these so called flogged areas still producing lead targets at depth?

Is someone telling you these area's are flogged, or are you making that observation yourself on the ground as you walk?

Lead bullets, molten campfire lead etc was mostly a product of the modern era even back to the mid 1800's when the rush was on.
On the other foot, most native gold in Victoria is around 450 million years old, shed from its primary maybe 100 million years ago and way too deep for any detector unless its alluvial.
Has all of the low lying fruit been picked already??
I like to think not.

I love it when someone tells me, "Dont bother there, its been flogged by gpx's, no gold over there".
Some of my best finds have been made at these spots, even in chained area's and old dozed patches from the 70's or 80's

Here are some other reasons that come to mind, on why there are still lead targets at depth, and possibly gold:

- Poor or incorrect technique?

- Maybe a lack of time and care in the search method, or no efficient search method used at all. (Gridding or Chaining)?

- Advancements in power and detector technology compared to others who were there last?

- Lack of patience in the Detector Operator?

- Poor Coil choice?

- Badly tuned detector?

Anything is possible I guess, and no matter what or who has been there, they rarely get it all.

At least thats what I keep telling myself :)

Regards

:D Redfin, your collection reminds me of my last trip several weeks ago. I did pick up some good yellow but probably found a bit more small fuggets than in your box and around the same amount of larger stuff, all in so-called flogged areas. There's still lots of gold out there ;)

A lot of people will cherrypick and leave the screamers too, I'll do this as exhaustion sets in, I usually try to dig everything though. I'm happy to call a flogged area flogged, there will still be gold but it gets harder and harder to find.

joe said:
Holy mackerel - that's a lot of bending
Hey Redfin, you must have thighs like a rugby forward.-not that i'd know much about that cause since moving to Qld. and living near the Gabba i sort of follow the Lions (ex Collingwood--it is possible)
Jaros :eek:

Hi Heatho, I'm in the same mindset, I dig all targets and as for people walking over screamers, the 3.7 Ounce nugget that I found several weeks ago in the central west was a screamer in a so-called flogged out area :D

So what the usual ratio of finding fuggets to nuggets in known gold bearing areas. A friend talks about the 100:1 ratio. And yes I understand the ratios will vary between areas, machines and users.

Hi Paydirt, I can't speak for any one else but will say in my experience, there is no ratio as there are too many variables that control how many nuggets are in an area. I focussed on 4 spots last trip, 3 of these were within walking distance of each other.
Spot one gave me 7 nuggets for 3.7g and approx. 12 * shot pellets, 1 * 22 Bullet and a few very small pieces of rusty steel.
Spot 2 gave me 8 nuggets for around 3g with approx. 3-4 shot pellets, several bullets and dozens of assorted sizes of rusty steal and a few brass buttons.
Spot 3 gave 2 nuggets for 1.5g with hundreds of fuggets varying in size.
Spot 4 was 3.7 Ounce screamer on its own with no fuggets in the immediate area.

Cheers

Latest posts