Digging for metal objects in any Lithgow council parks is strictly forbidden

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were new signs put up in the parks here in Bathurst just recently stating no detecting allowed as well as some other hobby activities, so yes it would seem to be catching on...

We should start a petition.
I thought public parks were the publics!

I'm getting sick of government control.

What ever happened to "by the people, for the people"

Damn you people not digging proper plugs (although I've never seen a hole in a park)

I wonder is the councils follow our forums

POLICY TITLE: Metal Detecting on Council Managed Land

EXPIRY DATE: UNLIMITED

OBJECTIVES: to guide Residents and Visitors to the Balranald Local Government Area on Councils expectations in relation to the use of metal detectors as a recreational pursuit on Council managed lands (CML)

POLICY STATEMENT

General
Council manages various parcels of land and road reserves for a variety of purposes, these can include:

* Recreational facilities
* Sporting fields
* Transport Infrastructure
* Public utilities
* Other operational land

Council aims to maintain these types of areas in a Fit for Purpose manner to ensure the level of service delivery meets community expectations.

It is critical that users of CML do not use a facility in such a way that can pose a risk to the health and safety of other users.

Metal Detecting, as a recreational pursuit, can be seen as providing a physical and mental challenge for participants, aiding the removal of waste materials and litter from the environment and benefitting the economy via the participants purchase of goods and services to undertake the pursuit.

However, should the activity be undertaken in an irresponsible manner, the Communitys health and safety can be at great risk, along with requiring remediation resources and additional public liability risk to Council.

It is intended, in general terms, that this policy applies Council managed recreational type facilities and unmaintained road reserves vested in Council.

Metal Detecting on Operational Land, Public Utility Areas and formed transport infrastructure is prohibited, unless specific permission is sought and permission granted in writing.

Council Responsibility
Council is responsible for the proper upkeep of CLM which also includes carrying appropriate levels of public liability insurance.

Council has to ensure that all risks are managed in line with industry best practice.

Council also must maintain recreational reserves in line with Councils Recreational Reserves Management Policy.

Other Policy documents relating to Council responsibilities can be found on Councils Website at:

www.balranald.nsw.gov.au

Metal Detector Operator Responsibility
Council expects that operators of metal detectors for recreation purposes will undertake the activity in accordance with accepted codes of conduct as described in various Metal Detecting Club Charters and manufacturer user manuals. See Appendix 1.

Special attention must be paid to undertaking the activity so as not to cause damage to recreational and other areas that have the potential to increase maintenance costs, be a risk to public health and safety and cause damage to the environment.

Areas of special consideration

Operators of metal detectors are required to adopt a harm minimisation approach in relation to target retrieval, such as:

* Slit retrieval method
* Screwdriver retrieval method

to retrieve targets on playing surfaces, such as the Number 1 and 2 Ovals at Greenham Park and the Oval at the Euston Recreation Reserve.

Plug Techniques are prohibited on maintained playing surfaces.

No target retrieval is permitted on lawn tennis courts.

Policy Review
This policy may be amended at any time and must be reviewed at least every five years following its adoption (or latest amendment)

Note
Nothing in this policy restricts Council to prohibit the use of metal detectors in areas requiring special protection, for example areas consisting of closely mown and carefully cultivated turf and flower beds or sites of archaeological botanical or scientific interest or any other considered areas. Signage will be erected in these areas advising of such considerations.

Adopted by Council
Refer Minute No.

Appendix 1: Codes of Ethics

Garrett Metal Detectors:

Code of Ethics
The following is a Code of Ethics that many treasure hunt clubs endorse and hobbyists follow to preserve our exciting hobby of metal detecting.
We encourage you to do the same:
* I will keep informed on and obey all laws, regulations and rules governing federal, state and local public lands.
* I will aid law enforcement officials whenever possible.
* I will cause no wilful damage to property of any kind, including fences, signs and buildings.
* I will always fill the holes I dig.
* I will not destroy property, buildings or the remains of ghost towns and other deserted structures.
* I will not leave litter or other discarded junk items lying around.
* I will carry all trash and dug targets with me when I leave each search area.
* I will observe the Golden Rule, using good outdoor manners and conducting myself at all times in a manner which will add to the stature and public image of all people engaged in the field of metal detection.

NSW & ACT Prospectors and Fossickers Association Inc

Members of the NSW & ACT Prospectors and Fossickers Association Inc (NAPFA) should:
1. Know and respect the regulations relating to prospecting and fossicking in NSW.
2. Protect the natural environment by disposing of rubbish properly and refilling our prospecting holes.
3. Ensure our own health and safety while in the field.
4. Respect the property and rights of others.
5. Be advocates for responsible prospecting and fossicking.

Australian Metal Detecting & Relic Hunting Charter (web based forum)

* Respect private property and do not enter without the land owners permission.
* Do not destroy property, buildings or what is left of ghost towns and deserted structures.
* Do not litter, always take with you what you take in and remove all trash dug in your search.
* Leave all gates and other accesses to land as found.
* Appreciate and protect our heritage, natural resources, wildlife, and private property.
* Be thoughtful, use consideration and courtesy at all times.
* Abide by all laws, ordinances, by-laws or regulations that may govern your search, or the area you are in.
* Fill all holes, regardless how remote the location, and never dig in a way that will damage, be damaging to, or kill any vegetation.
* Report the discovery of items of significant historical value to a local historian or museum in accordance with the latest legislation.
* Be an ambassador for the metal detecting and relic hunting hobby. Be polite and informative to those who inquire about your hobby - you are the ambassador of a pastime we want to protect and we will be judged by how you act & respond.

All good things come to an end - the more popular something becomes the sooner the good thing comes to an end - so are we all actually assisting to bring it to an early end by making it more popular?

Latest posts