Detector Settings When Using The SP01

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Ive been using the SP01 for over a year now and have found it to be a great bit of kit. The sound that comes through to the headphones is tremendous. It really does enhance signals without the addition of a background hummmmm. When it was initially hooked it up to the gpx5000, the machine was set to run smoothly and quietly with only subtle changes made to the range of settings normally used. The SP01 has been used that way since then. The routine was always the same. (Auto tune, adjust gain and stabiliser to suit conditions and away you go.) Never thought to really play with detector settings in a big way until yesterday. Went out to some old workings that Id raked and worked over with the SDC. Wanted to cover the same ground with the 5000 to see if it would pick up some deeper targets that the blue Hoover couldnt see. Before going out to the gold fields I started thinking about the settings that I could possibly use for that area. The gold is very small in this block and I wanted the machine picking up every slight sound without the masking effect of filters blocking out some of the subtle signals coming through. With this in mind, I decided to run the stabiliser quite high and drop the gain. After a couple of minutes of fine tuning, the gpx was quietly humming along. Ended up with the stabiliser on 17 and the gain on 9. Cranked up the SP01 to about 80% volume, dropped the target volume and the threshold a notch or two and away I went. Apart from the odd hot rock, the machine was as quiet as a lamb. Only ended up with one small piece but it was a crisp, clear signal. The most impressive part was the depth of the gold. It was a genuine 6 deep. I can understand why the SDC missed it.
1564353766_6f191a90-57a1-494f-8c33-80208e557d68.jpg

I realise that the next spot I go to may not allow these settings to be used but it is food for thought and comment. Would be interesting to hear about other peoples settings and ideas on the use of the SP01.

Cheers

Les

Nice work Les.

Yes I'm happy with my sP01 too. I've only found Lead with the 5000 so far, but I have noticed how you can crank up the sP01 and get a cleaner sound for the volume you are getting. I found some nice deep .22 bullet heads and a 1cm musket ball at Kingower using setting #3 using a 20" Advantage coil, but I've found when using the 21x17 SEF I like the sound of #1 or 2 better. Do you have a preference with the Evo?

Hi Deepseeker

From memory I run it in 2 but Ill check that. Once I found the setting that worked best for my hearing, the SP01 was rarely adjusted much unless I worked ground that made me radically change my detector settings. If you know what I mean.

Cheers

Les

I just got my SP01 + Audio Adapter Lead for my SDC the other day, went out for a test run and though I didn't find any gold I'm pretty darn happy with the setup. Am using a wireless transmitter (stuck to side of SP01) in order to use my bluetooth headphones, very slight delay but it's definitely usable.

One thing I was curious about... while testing a range of different filter + audio threshold setting combinations, I found that I could achieve practically 0 background noise with the audio threshold set to first level and sensitivity set to 2 on the SDC, along with setting #2 on the SP01. With these settings I was able to find a couple tiny 0.15g steel shots with just a single faint beep enough to make me scrape the surface and confirm proper back/forth signal. I think it would have been very difficult to pickup had I had the usual constant threshold buzzing, as they were relatively deep targets.

Does anyone else use the SP01 like this, so that there is essentially no audio unless the coil goes over a target? Is there any reason I shouldn't be using it like this? I'll have to test it out some more in the field to see for myself but curious on others opinions.

Latest posts