Detecting in light rain with a non water-proof detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having previously owned a water proof detector I never really worried about weather conditions when detecting. I'm now waiting on a TDI Pro which isn't water proof but now I have the question, who here detects in light rain with a non water proof detector? If so, how are you achieving this.

The reason for this question is 9 times out of 10 when I plan something it ends up raining 8.(

The Sovereign is only water proof to the box. I go out in rain all the time. Get an enviro cover - and if your detector allows the box to be separated from the shaft then I use a strap to hang it around my neck and then stash the whole thing under my jacket. It gets the unit out of my way when digging and keeps it warm and dry!

3f1a358efe8db3e0451c00830cbd8b02_zpsd47b908b.jpg

It comes off the shaft so ....

My Whites detectors have all had weatherproof covers available as aftermarket accessories. All have been ample for a light shower protection but definitely not steady or heavy rain. Good to keep dust/scratches etc. at bay too.
Never had a TDI but would imagine they are available through Goldsearch or on eBay.

I've only started looking for a weather proof cover but haven't come up with one yet, I'll keep looking though. Do you guys know if the Sadie Advantage coil will handle steady rainfall?

The other thing is when detecting for nuggets
And its raining the soil will attach to your pick
And the experience will be messy as you try
To find the target.

mbasko said:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111055184611?redirect=mobile

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111056595989?redirect=mobile

I'd reckon the advantage coils would handle rain but to be safe I have heard of people just tying a plastic shopping bag over the coil. Would look ugly but offer a bit more protection I guess. If it got that bad I'd probably head for cover myself :lol:

Edit: from memory I'm pretty sure I got my GMT covers off the same mob. They were very good quality the ones I got.

Thanks for the links, I had only checked Aussie eBay. I'll probably look at the plastic bag coil option as looks aren't really an issue out in the scrub. I'd only be looking to detect in light rain / drizzle and would high tale it out of there if it got too heavy.

Good covers like the ones off ebay are definitely worthwhile and are well made with durable weather resistant materials. Aside from the rain, they will also protect your investment against knocks and scratches, and retain resale value should you ever sell the tdi. I've ordered a full set for the explorer, good insurance for a small outlay. :)

The sadie is listed as water resistant and just make sure the skid plate tape is secure with no gaps so muck/water cannot get in between the skid plate and the bottom of the coil (this should be a pre-detecting SoP). I would not bother wrapping a coil up in a plastic bag - never had any problems with coils in the rain. Make sure you get a box cover, I find leather is very good, and then wrap the whole thing in a zip lock plastic bag secured with 100 mph tape. Cut holes for leads etc. Another little trick - disposable ponchos to cover everything, including yourself. Nice and light to carry for changes in the weather. All sound a little bit hobbled together? Maybe but its also bloody cheap and it works!!.

Latest posts