Detecting and the Pan

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been slowly but steadily equpping myself for the detecting side of the hunt, but how many of you also take a pan out?
I would have thought the two compliment each other, am I right on that score?
I like the idea of panning but is that spreading myself too thin? Should I focus on detecting now that I have spent my hard earned on a GPX?

Regards all
Daniel :pickshovel:

A pan is always in the ute, dont go out without one. The detector finds I the ondiicars, the pan finds where they care from

It's interesting that you ask that question Daniel, as I have often wondered myself if it's worth taking my pan along with me when I detect. When I was a kid I went Gold Panning with a great uncle in Blackwood Vic. We found some really nice gold, but I never realized for most of my life that gold panning wasn't just done as a way to just find gold for the sake of it. It wasn't until I became a member on here when I bought my first detector that I found out that it's also a very skillful way of sampling an area and getting an indication of where the gold is coming from.

Hi Daniel, your on the right track to do a bit of both. Find which one you like the most and use that technique backed up by the other. I have a GPX but it's often the last tool out of the toolbox. The old time gold diggers left scraps on the heaps. Modern gold diggers don't leave more then dust. :goldpan: :pickshovel: :goldnugget:

madtuna said:
A pan is always in the ute, dont go out without one. The detector finds I the ondiicars, the pan finds where they care from

My apologies for that dribble, that should have read A pan is always in the ute, dont go out without one. The detector finds the indicators(nuggets) and the pan finds where they came from.

If on a patch or a run often I'll leave all my holes open, stand back or even send the drone up to get an over all picture and try and work out a direction. (fill the holes in afterwards of cause)

If there's any reef in that line I'll often sample right at the reef itself. If you're in the right spot often you pick up tiny little prickly bits too small for the detector that look like they shed yesterday.
Then it's sampling the rock itself using a dolly pot and pan to see if it's worth bulk crushing.

Always carry both, if I'm working a creek I'll have a really small head to poke around rocks and crevices, like the creek we were scouting on Sunday where every pan had colour, but the Gold was shallow flood gold, probably deposited in the last 12 months or so, now we'll go back working detectors and pans to try and find the source ;)

Latest posts