Deadly dog tick disease

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sadly there is no vaccine for ehrlichiosis, so I guess prevention is the cure.

A dose of Fipronil works, dig through dog flea treatments at your local supermarket and get the one that contains it. Last 2 dose pack I bought cost about $15. Fleas tend to be prevalant in dry arid areas so going into summer would be the best time for a dose in Vic. Keep your dog under lock and key for a few days before cutting them loose again, as its not good for the bees & as we all know we need to look after them!

My mothers Staffie had heart worm . At that time the only treatment was to give her a pill every day . She was too smart and no matter what you did , she would not eat it . RIP .

My mother tried everything , not sure about peanut butter . She was heart broken when Daisy passed away. My mum had her from a pup .

Thanks for the replies guys.
I guess this worrying disease has been passed onto dogs that have been travelling with thier owners who did not heed the warnings of the disease when it first appeared in NW Australia.
I guess the only thing to do is to keep up with the best tick prevention and to keep checking for ticks. Some parts of Australia are really bad for ticks.

Mike678 the best way to get your dog to have thier tablets is to open the dog's jaw and force it down thier throats, close their mouth and blow on thier nose and this makes them swallow

Another similar way is to use sliced cheese (plastic cheese) fold it up in palm and then use thumb to soft it. Just use a 1/4 of the slice. Will become a soft ball of cheese, use enough to wrap the tablet. Hopefully will just swallow. If tablets are big brake in half. I have a staff so they will eat any thing- stomach on legs. Hope it helps someone. Have a good night all.
Tania

Yeah are giving our dogs just the Brevecto flea and tick chew every 3 months.
Might have to get the collars to better protect them until they become walking chemical dogs :8

guys,,,,go to the vet...n pay for the one injection....a protection for the lot....expensive ...yes...but protection for a year n no stress...priceless....

One of my dogs had seizures after a flea and tick treatment and has never been the same since, so now im to scared to try anything else . I might look into the injection one and hope everything works out ok.

We lost a healthy family dog to 'dog worming meds' applied to the dog by the Vet, the Dog was in for an annual checkup, vax's and worming, it was terrible. The Dog was in a lot of pain, convulsing, vomiting, howling and eventually passing with a lot of blood in its mouth and nose.
All happened in about 10min after getting it home. Heart breaking.
We paid for an autopsy - allergy. Never gave the dog back, they refused to !

Since that event and some others with Vets, sadly I do not trust them at all, but do know more and when to go to one.

Sheep and cattle are dosed aren't they ? To limit parasites like fleas, mites, ticks and lice ?
If your dog is in a known environment for that disease, you have to make a choice. Maybe starting with a low dose of oral product and slowly working up to a full dose would give you some confidence and your dog some protection.
YES dogs can be overdosed with medication, including Worming meds.

My wife works in a Compounding Pharmacy and they do a shirt load of compounded meds for pets, including anti-depressants, they are VERY careful to insure the doses are correct, and applied correctly to the pet by the owner.

Latest posts