Daihatsu feroza motor wanted

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all I'm looking for a new motor for my feroza just wondering if anyone might have one or know where I could find a good one or even a complete car with a good motor ...cheers

I had a rocky, great car. Is it the same motor? If it is, its a common 3Y also used in the old petrol hilux.

Hi it not the same motor this is a 16 value engine...I agree Rocky is an awesome 4x4 very similar to Feroza but nothing is the same in the 2 cars which makes it hard to find good parts for them ..cheers

A mates got one out of rego been sitting a couple of years due to a dui charge had a new motor put in before it was parked, where you located

Just went through a same problem. :)
Diahatsu Car motor is the same block
G61 comes to mind.
You have to change sump, Manifolds, and a few other things.
The motor will have a designation on it like
I said before.
Bit hard to find a good one as the cylinder heads rot out as
there is not much material around the cylinders.
Also be care full around the oil pump area.
Dismantle and clean it out checking the pressure relief
plunger for scoring and it is not sticky in its bore.

Have a look at daihatsuauto.com.au, bought a gearbox for my detomaso charade years ago.
There in brisbane so not sure what the freight will be like to ship a whole motor.

Still miss my charade, tourqie little 1.6, Lim Slip Diff and wider tyres. Ran like it was on rails.

Sorry, enough reminiscing.

Goodluck on your search Mickeybees.
TGW.

baw1983 said:
A mates got one out of rego been sitting a couple of years due to a dui charge had a new motor put in before it was parked, where you located
Hi mate I'm in Victoria Bacchus marsh if u know where that is I'm definitely interested ?cheers

If your doing an engine swap why don't you look into doing a conversion to a motor that is more common and easier to get parts for ?

Hey mate as good as that would be I don't have the time and money to do a conversation..the motors are really good and reliable mine is still running good just it's going through a liter of oil every week .my one has almost done 300,000 so if I can find a good one it would be a lot easier for me ..cheers

Tathradj said:
Just went through a same problem. :)
Diahatsu Car motor is the same block
G61 comes to mind.
You have to change sump, Manifolds, and a few other things.
The motor will have a designation on it like
I said before.
Bit hard to find a good one as the cylinder heads rot out as
there is not much material around the cylinders.
Also be care full around the oil pump area.
Dismantle and clean it out checking the pressure relief
plunger for scoring and it is not sticky in its bore.
Hey thanks for the info I didn't know there was an other motor that would fit it I will look into it cheers

Digginholes said:
If your doing an engine swap why don't you look into doing a conversion to a motor that is more common and easier to get parts for ?

Briggs & Stratton, for instance. ;)

I used to own a Feroza in the early 90's. Went like stink after decarbonising, which needed to be done every 10K to keep it on song. They're pretty deadly going round corners on dirt roads though - oversteer strikes suddenly and viciously with that short wheelbase. They appear quite well built for what they are, but the suspension is way too hard for corrugated roads.

Mine is a 93 model with the wide wheel base it's pretty good on corners I also have a lift kit and 31"s mud tires on it .i love it it's my prospecting vehicle it goes anywhere and small enough to go up most motorbike tracks as well its been a awesome car and so reliable that's why I'm keen on finding a good motor for it ..cheers

grubstake said:
Digginholes said:

Briggs & Stratton, for instance. ;)

I used to own a Feroza in the early 90's. Went like stink after decarbonising, which needed to be done every 10K to keep it on song. They're pretty deadly going round corners on dirt roads though - oversteer strikes suddenly and viciously with that short wheelbase. They appear quite well built for what they are, but the suspension is way too hard for corrugated roads.
Hey mate how do you decarbonise the motor?

Yeah I used to have one, SX11, gave it heaps off road and it handled it pretty well... always underpowered though with the 1.6.

I spent the $$ and reco'd mine when it got sick. I think a lot of guys used to put Applause engines in them.

100_1359.jpg

Mickybees said:
baw1983 said:
Hi mate I'm in Victoria Bacchus marsh if u know where that is I'm definitely interested ?cheers
This car in wollongong, prob a bit far to go for a feroza

isolation said:
Yeah I used to have one, SX11, gave it heaps off road and it handled it pretty well... always underpowered though with the 1.6.

I spent the $$ and reco'd mine when it got sick. I think a lot of guys used to put Applause engines in them.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j281/ferguson_01/100_1359.jpg
Wow nice pic mate I hope mine looks as good once I get new motor..yes applause motor is the same but can't find one ..do you mind me asking how much it cost to reco the motor cheers mick

baw1983 said:
Mickybees said:
baw1983 said:
Yeh to far for me but thanks heaps anyway mate

Mickybees said:
baw1983 said:
Mickybees said:
baw1983 said:
Yeh to far for me but thanks heaps anyway mate
No worries mate

Mickybees said:
isolation said:

Wow nice pic mate I hope mine looks as good once I get new motor..yes applause motor is the same but can't find one ..do you mind me asking how much it cost to reco the motor cheers mick

Mate can't remember exactly, it wasn't cheap, approx. $1600-$1800... through these guys http://www.duncanfoster.com.au/

isolation said:
Mickybees said:
isolation said:

Mate can't remember exactly, it wasn't cheap, approx. $1600-$1800... through these guys http://www.duncanfoster.com.au/
Cool now I know roughly what I'm up for if I have to reco .thanks mate