Cyclones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoneWolf said:
"She's pretty big and could see a long way.... what's a good name that starts with J.... ?" Sorry but Jaros is NOT on the list Silver... :playful: Just Joking Jaros... :)

She will be a He........Joshua.. If im reading the list right.. :koala:

But a lot depends on this..

"Before names are added to the Australian list, they are approved by neighbouring countries through the World Meteorological Organization Regional Tropical Cyclone Committees. We do this to avoid duplication and ensure that the cyclone does not need to be renamed when it moves across borders.

If a cyclone forms in an adjacent region (such as Indonesia or Fiji) it will be named there and will keep that name if it moves into the Australian region. Similarly, if a tropical cyclone is named in the Australian region and then moves into a neighbouring region, the Australian name will continue to be used."

LW...

Your spot on lone wolf. The next cyclone is a male name beginging with J. Australia names cycylones in alphabetical order going male female male female and so on. As the the current cyclone is called Tropical Cyclone Imogen the next one will be a male name starting with J. Have we had a TC james yet? Thats my guess

1609720332_20215.jpg

LoneWolf said:
Joshua is the next name on the list.... You can also Submit Names for Cyclones.... But they need to be approved... Here is the list and How to submit names...

http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/tropical-cyclone-knowledge-centre/understanding/tc-names/

Any nasty Cyclones that cross the Coast and cause big damage is removed off the list.. Like TC Yassi... That name will never be used again...

LW....
My wife and I stayed at Ellis beach the week after Yassi went through the area. There are broken branches that have been from the cliffs behind the carapark. They had fallen from a few hundred feet down onto the Park. No loss of life but substantial damage to the beach shacks.

Yes Jaros a very Nasty one........there was one life lost.. A fellow took refuge in a Generator room and was overcome with Fumes...

That was one hell of a Cyclone that one...

LW...

I see TC Kimi has formed off Cooktown, I don't think the BOM predicted it was going to be more than a tropical low a day or two ago.

Every cyclone that hits FNQ seems predicted to hit further north than it actually does. I remember at one stage Yasi was going to make a direct hit on Cairns. Not long ago this one was meant to hit Port Douglas before they updated it. Seems to be a pattern.

Latest posts