CTX 3030 Initiation

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went on my second hunt yesterday with the new machine. Found a 1977 silver jubilee fifty cent piece in very good condition along with other coins. Cannot understand why the depth showing on the screen is in inches seeing I am in Australia, not America. Can I change that setting to metric? Also I was over, what you guys refer to as a honey hole with multiple coins and a piece of aluminium. When I waved the coil over the spot the screen did not show a fe/co number and I wonder why that was the case? I was on a beach and luckily had an offsider who was doing the digging with the scoop but when you are doing it by yourself do you have to put the detector on the sand to dig and keep the earmuffs on?

G'day Gary, yes you can change the depth to centimetres. It's in the "options" page in the "locality" settings, when you navigate to that page you'll see "units" and "yards", change from yards tom metres, that will do it.

Don't get too frustrated about not knowing the detecter in a few days, it can take quite a few weeks to get a really good grasp of all the settings. It sounds like it's working for you though which is great.

Hmm not sure why it didn't give you the fe/co readings, maybe there was a lot of trash or just to many targets for it to lock onto. When I'm detecting in a lot of clutter I use the "high trash" target separation and also have "fast" on, that way it can help lock onto good targets among junk clutter, without these 2 settings it can blend targets that are close together.

Is it okay to engrave detectors? I once engraved a camera and when it developed problems, Camera House blamed the engraving.

G'day mate, I'm not sure on that, give minelab a call and ask them, they will let you know. They might even suggest the best place to do it on the detector.

Kidbeey said:
Is it okay to engrave detectors? I once engraved a camera and when it developed problems, Camera House blamed the engraving.

The security of the serial number should be enough to identify the machine as yours. With a lot of fake detectors around, companies have had to upgrade the security of real products.

Latest posts