CSIRO use insects to uncover Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While youre all reading this, I'm off to smash down some termite nests hahaha.

New research from the CSIRO has uncovered the role ants and termites will play in discovering new gold deposits.

Research in science journals PLoS ONE and Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis has found at test sites in the WA Goldfields that termite mounds contained high concentrations of gold, indicating larger deposits underneath.

Were using insects to help find new gold and other mineral deposits. These resources are becoming increasingly hard to find because much of the Australian landscape is covered by a layer of eroded material that masks whats going on deeper underground, Aaron Stewart, a CSIRO entomologist, said.

He explained that the insects bring up small particles that contain gold from the deposits fingerprint, or halo, and effectively stockpile it in their mounds.

Our recent research has shown that small ant and termite mounds that may not look like much on the surface, are just as valuable in finding gold as the large African mounds are that stand several metres tall...

Source http://www.miningaustralia.com.au/features/csiro-using-ants-and-termites-to-uncover-gold

I saw that in the herald sun the other day caught my eye. Only the week before I got stung by an over protective bullant not overly painfull but the leave a good welt... Termite mounds might be the safer option. Always a good source to look for indicator soils and rock so I am told. It seems we can learn a lot from our little friends and their homes.

This reminds me of something funny/strange not long ago i was pulling out dandelion weeds i think theyre called. and under the root system of most was 10/20/50c pieces i thought it must be one of the minerals in the coins themselves that they may have been feeding off

G'day All

That and a lot of other things they have been putting in the press recently like gold in trees and so on is very old stuff. Western Mining was using gum nuts to look for gold and nickel in WA in the 70's. One of my first jobs at Kambalda was running around with a ladder and collecting them for assay. Also in Africa we were sampling termite mounds back I the 70's as well for diamonds and that program led to the discovery of the giant Orapa diamond mine.

Araluen

SWright said:
G'day All

That and a lot of other things they have been putting in the press recently like gold in trees and so on is very old stuff. Western Mining was using gum nuts to look for gold and nickel in WA in the 70's. One of my first jobs at Kambalda was running around with a ladder and collecting them for assay. Also in Africa we were sampling termite mounds back I the 70's as well for diamonds and that program led to the discovery of the giant Orapa diamond mine.

Araluen
I think the analytical precision has increased since the 70's though. Ppm ppb now ppt

We found small Sapphires on an ants nest at Inverell, hard working little guys, if only I could train them to just bring up Sapphires, swap for food of course.

That's a bush tale.

On the very top of a termite nest the first inch. Pan it and see.

That story has been around for a long time. Interesting to see the Csiro verify it.

Latest posts