Copper prices & graveyard thieves.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As world copper prices soar, graveyard thieves raid Northern Rivers cemeteries for plaques. Grieving families have been left heartbroken after dozens of graves in the Tweed Heads-Murwillumbah area were stripped bare of plaques and flowers. Almost 60 copper plaques have been stolen from two cemeteries, in what workers say is a "devastating" blow for mourning families.

1628289322_aan09vm.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...AAN0jdc?ocid=msedgntp&fullscreen=true#image=1

Well what can be said about this! :N:

We had a heap of that going on over here and it was mostly people from the EU that were caught doing it so the Gov bought in new tougher laws where they came down hard on scrap dealers if they were caught dealing in such things and it almost wiped it out over night from happening again, it still goes on but not to the level it was. :N:

I hope there is no sinister purpose that requires large amounts of untraceable copper... bad enough that it is what it is.

Mackka said:
Coppers should contact every scrap dealer in the state and get these mongrels.
Mackka

That would involve working with no promise of fine money coming in.... I think the detectives are the ones that need to be in on that job.
In my honest opinion

Not the first time its happened. Nor surprising with the surge to historical high values.

Fines only go so far as a detterent. Bring back the stocks and public humiliation.

And if thats no good for a "modern world", a few hundred hours of unpaid community service would be acceptable.

Youre on the money Silver, usually we were visited by the local CIB members in plains clothes with theft inquiries, the uniforms only showed up for firearm and weapon destruction in the years I was in the scrap yard.

Dealers can be just as unethical as the suppliers, too easy to load into a container bound for asian markets. :money: always wins over morality. Every damn time.

Jemba said:
As world copper prices soar, graveyard thieves raid Northern Rivers cemeteries for plaques. Grieving families have been left heartbroken after dozens of graves in the Tweed Heads-Murwillumbah area were stripped bare of plaques and flowers. Almost 60 copper plaques have been stolen from two cemeteries, in what workers say is a "devastating" blow for mourning families.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/8224/1628289322_aan09vm.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...AAN0jdc?ocid=msedgntp&fullscreen=true#image=1

Well what can be said about this! :N:

Romantic Australia's dead and gone...

To paraphrase Yeats!

G'day

You have to wonder at the quality of people, some have no shame at all, the only thing left to do is to remake the plaques out of something like steel that's of low value, I remember as a kid people would steal the lead lettering out of the grave stones in the local cemetery, so I guess the low lives were then as they are now.

cheers

stayyerAU

Gday

Why is there no delete option when you stuff a post up and want to delete one????

cheers

stayyerAU

Latest posts