Coil Wiring Diagram

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Wesat33 here Question time! Can somebody tell me why there are 5 wires going down to the coil head? TWO take current down TWO pick up the return signal and bring it up to the control box. Is the fifth wire a shield wire for one pair of the others Also would you consider the return signal to be classifyied as an induced voltage or does it have a special name or is it just THAT -- a signal? Question TWO Why is it that when moving my coil from right to left on a LIGHT target I get a responce --- But go from left to right I get no signal? --- To me it should make no difference --- unless the coil is actually setting itself up as having destinct poles --- and the detector only reads in one polarity direction? I should mention that my gear is very bottom of the range equipment. I'm havinga lot of trouble getting my head around the cost of some of the search coils. From what I have found out so far is that there are simply two coils of copper wire one inside the other and some shielding material separating them. Has anyone opened one up to check it out? Is there any circuit board or amplifyer of any description? Simply put from what I know about the subject at this point in time I consider that it is not Rocket Science! but it comes with a huge price Tag. All oppinions and replys welcome. sEEYA!wES!

Wesat33 here! Thanks for your quick reply and intrest. The units that I have are just the run of the mill $100:00 Chinese units But in regards to the search coils I refer to all types of single coils. Thanks Wes.

G'day Wes

If you have 5 wires coming from your coil it's either a DD or a Concentric coil
which is typical for a treasure detector as a standard coil.

The 5 wires consist of 2 wires to each inner loop or winding, one being the send loop and the other the
receive loop, the other 5th wire is the shield wire and is used in the coils shielding system to cut
down on EMI from external sources which allows the detector to run smooth and stable..

Seeing as your detector is one of the simple starter jobs from China for $100 i would say there will be no
Accessory coils available on the market to suit it, so you would need a coil built to suit the specs
of the detector "ie" frequency it runs at in Khz, then someone may be able to build one for it.

Coils can be built to suit practically any detector available, as long as the Khz is known.
Coils do seem to be expensive to buy, but if you think of it this way :D ( surgeons need sharp blades)
then it doesnt feel so bad shelling out multi Bux for one..

Have a gander at your specs sticker on the tecta or owners manual and let me know the frequency Khz ;)

Pete :cool:

Latest posts