Coil questions and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do the experts among you recommend in the way of larger coils for the GPX5000 to complement the standard 11" DD and mono ?

have been looking at ;

nugget finder 30 x 7 elliptical

nugget finder 25" mono superlight

and carbon coils 32 " mono

any suggestions ?

The 11" mono will probably go deeper than the 30x7 as it's too narrow . Th 32" is just too big to use in most areas, so out of the three I would pick the 25" NF.
I personally use a 18" Minelab mono for depth and find that it is big enough, while still getting good sensitivity. It is a solid to stop getting caught on stuff.
The NF 18 & 20" coil are very good also.

DD

Hi
I've been testing the new Detech 16.5 and the 18 mono which are both closed design.
Both have good sensitivity to small targets , and tests over targets in a test bed show great depth capabilities on medium to large targets.

Both these coils were ran in Enhance. And also Special, Fine gold, over highly mineralized ground.

Regards Stinky

Stinky Pete said:
Hi
I've been testing the new Detech 16.5 and the 18 mono which are both closed design.
Both have good sensitivity to small targets , and tests over targets in a test bed show great depth capabilities on medium to large targets.

Both these coils were ran in Enhance. And also Special, Fine gold, over highly mineralized ground.

Regards Stinky

when you say great depth capabilities , are you talking an extra 10 % or 100 % ?

I was surprised to hear from one of the coil manufacturers that their 32 inch coil gave "at least 5 % increase in depth over a standard 11 inch mono"

which left me somewhat surprisicated

Hi all,

HeadsUp, here's my two bobs worth on coils. First up I'm no expert and I dont run a 5000, anyway my go to coil is a Coiltek 16" Round Mono it provides great ground coverage, is reasonably sensitive, it's light (open spoke), and it punches deep.

For my money the 16" is a good all rounder (for all of the reasons above) I've found plenty with mine, it rarely comes off of my 3500 (only for a clean) now and again.

Hope this helps

Jim & Kerrie

To keep it simple, round coils go deeper than elliptical and big round coils go the deepest.

wish i could get one of these for a demo , drill some holes with the auger and bury a few bits to see how it compares

50 inch coil you say ?

http://www.carboncoils.com/

it wouldnt do too well on small bits but you could always chain a patch north-south with the big coil then change to 11 inch and chain again east-west

then rent the patch out to a noughts and crosses club

A 16" round mono, provided a mono coil can be used on that ground, has a very slight depth advantage over a 14" round mono.

Anything over the size of a 16" round has no depth advantage above it at all. They are an ideal coil size the 16" round, and that's the cut off point for raw depth.
Some can prefer, say, an 18"x12" or 17"x11" elliptical coil over the 14" round (both are equal in depth to the 14" round, but the round still seems to hold a fuller signal edge) due to ellipticals ability to seem to 'slide' around, for want of a better word, but rounds remain truer to signals at depth.

None of the coils you've mentioned will gain any depth advantage over a 16" round.
Not even an 18" round will.

Minelab
Litz wire which is a multistrand wire where each strand is insulated. Means a lot of funky electro tech. Coils made with Litz wire will work better at the low delay periods required to detect very small gold with the PI machines.
Made by the factory to suit the machine perfectly.

Coiltek
Only the Goldstalker Blitz uses Litz wire. Other coils may or may not work at superfast delay periods effectively.
Offers waterproof options in the Platypus coil
Offers smaller monos than Minelab
Offers larger Monos and DD than Minelab

I own both Minelab and Coiltek coils. I have previously owned a Nugget Finder coil and would do so again.

There is no magic bullet, find a coil size that works for your needs and get the brand that suits.

Hello,

I run the standard 14" Nugget finder mono ( litz wire ) with my 5k, very smooth in the GT but can be a problem mid afternoon with EMI. Auto tune @ 1/2 hour intervals it works great for me.
As for the standard Commander coils (GPX5000 ISSUE) I find they are noisy when sweeping the ground even the smallest bump can throw out the GB.

CHOW

Has any anyone tried the new coiltec 6 inch coil made for the eureka gold, and if so what did you think???
It is under consideration for the arsenal.

Captn.

I personally haven't used it, but the Eureka Gold I owned last year has. To explain; Coiltek Manufacturing make the coils here in S.A. The guy that ran the training I did when I bought it, tests some of their coils in Victoria when he pops over. He used a dealer Eureka to test the 1st prototype a couple of years ago.

However I met up with him in Maryborough last June, he knew I would be there so instead of bringing a Eureka with him, he borrowed mine. I used his old SD2000 whilst he had my detector. He was testing the 2nd prototype, which I believe ended up as the production coil version

His comment to me was that the coil was quieter than the stock coil and more sensitive to smaller targets.
I might add that he used test gold targets he bought with him as well as detecting ground. He found no gold with it

The coil was primarily designed and manufactured to fill a South African order. Bear in mind their soil conditions are different to ours.

I used my Eureka for a month last year, I found nothing but nails, wire and rust. I'm heading back to the Vic Goldfields in 2 weeks for another month of prospecting, armed with my GPX5000. I traded the Eureka in, bit the bullet and bought something that will improve my chances.

Thanks for the info condor22 very interesting stuff, hope I can get some more feedback don't want to take the plunge on a whim. All detectors find nails, wire and rust I think that's a fact of life, and your right the original eureka elliptical coil is rubbish IMO, I won't use it anymore after trying a difference selection of coils.

Captn.

I'm thinking of buying a new coil for my eureka gold,any recommendations advice would be great:)

Hey folks...I just bought a second hand GPX 4500 that came with 3 coils...An 11 x 17 mono, another mono about 10" and another one the same size but nothing on it to say what it is other than GP Series and a serial no..Can I assume this is a DD coil or is there some other way on knowing??

Cheers...Sparra

G'day Sparra, If the Cable is perfectly round then It is a Mono coil, If it has two flat sides & two round sides it is a DD coil.

Thanks Redfin...Yeah it has the 2 flat and 2 round but not that noticeable but it makes sense that all 3 coils would be different...

Cheers...Sparra

Hi Sparra, I have got 2 DD coil sitting next to me Minelab cable has two flats and round, Coiltec DD has all round.
Good to see you got a 4500 might catch you in the bush one day

Latest posts