Chewy's Video's

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I set up the hibanker un the backyard today for a bit of fun. My 1st time using it, not really sure what I need to know like water flow, is it fast enough, or to fast, angle etc, this was just a rough test but I'd love to get any advice. Cheers Andy.

DropBear said:
I would turn the water up a little more.

Gold is heavy. :)

I run by the rule "More water... Less angle"
Thanks for the advice DropBear, that's what I need. I haven't sussed out what I ended up with yet. I cleaned up the hibanker rolled up the mats and put them in a tub with water in it, but haven't had a chance to get near it. Tomozza's job. Also got the tailings in another tub to go thru again.

I'm still relatively new myself but one thing I have learnt with lay flat and pump rules your discharge hose should be longer than your suction, and layflat kinks really easy and therefor slows the flow Bad, Still nice setup mate

Next1m8 said:
I'm still relatively new myself but one thing I have learnt with lay flat and pump rules your discharge hose should be longer than your suction, and layflat kinks really easy and therefor slows the flow Bad, Still nice setup mate
Thanks. Yeah I had a lot of trouble with the lay flat kinking, the pump had more in it, but I wasn't sure how much was too much, so I dropped it back a bit at the tap on the inlet. More H2O seems to be the go. Anybody got any suggestions on angle? Cheers Andy. :)

It wouldn't hurt to crank a bit more water through it, I hadnone much smaller set up the same way I used to Hamer the water through it, what are you running as a capture Matt under the expanded?

I have the same same setup as yours. Rato pump and hi banker from Dale (Hardyakka).

Most of your gold will be caught in the first bit of expanded mesh. I run my pump flat out paying attention to keep the lay flat straight. ( no kinks ). Its a pain to set up the highbanker so that the hose is straight coming from the pump, im going to put on a 90 degree pvc bend on mine next week to help keep the hose straight.

As far as angle goes, I'm not to sure. I guess I just looked at making it not to steep or low. Last weeks efforts for a 3 hour run were about half a gram and there were pickers, flakes and about 50 bits of fine flour gold so the angle seems to be ok.

Cheers Rick

looks good Chewy.....bet the missus is happy it was not setup in the lounge room :p

Hope there was some colour in your clean up

MJB said:
looks good Chewy.....bet the missus is happy it was not setup in the lounge room :p

Hope there was some colour in your clean up
Hahaha yep she was pleasantly surprised. Haven't finished clean up yet, still need to find out what was in the mats. I'll get on to that a little later. :)

Next1m8 said:
It wouldn't hurt to crank a bit more water through it, I hadnone much smaller set up the same way I used to Hamer the water through it, what are you running as a capture Matt under the expanded?
Running black rubber v mat under miners moss.

Jin said:
I have the same same setup as yours. Rato pump and hi banker from Dale (Hardyakka).

Most of your gold will be caught in the first bit of expanded mesh. I run my pump flat out paying attention to keep the lay flat straight. ( no kinks ). Its a pain to set up the highbanker so that the hose is straight coming from the pump, im going to put on a 90 degree pvc bend on mine next week to help keep the hose straight.

As far as angle goes, I'm not to sure. I guess I just looked at making it not to steep or low. Last weeks efforts for a 3 hour run were about half a gram and there were pickers, flakes and about 50 bits of fine flour gold so the angle seems to be ok.

Cheers Rick
Thanks Rick, yep kinks were a pain in the bum, think I'm gunna get a bit of that intake hose and connect it to the end of the lay flat and the hibanker, so the lay flat can be straight on the ground. I'm thinking it would be a bit tidier in the field when I'm not recirculating the water out of the tub. I thought a bit shorter on the lay flat would help with the kinks to.

There a wide highbanker compared to some and the Rato pump is only small so I doubt you'll have a problem with to much water flow. Just use your ball valve to slow down the flow when no material is going through. If in doubt collect some of the material as it comes out the sluice and pan it of to see if gold is being blown out. Mine hasn't and that's running flat out. Like I said earlier most of the gold is caught in the top section of mating. You'll find the best way to learn though is just to get out there and have a go, after 2 or 3 runs you'll have a better idea on how your setup works.

Cheers rick

It's a Thornado pump I'm running, not sure how they compare with the rato pumps. I never found out about the rato pumps until after I had got the Thornado.

Same pump if it is the 1 1/2.
Brilliant little unit for what you pay for.
Had mine for 12 months now. Never a problem. :D

Latest posts