Charlies Gully Dunoly

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went up for a short swing to christen the new GPZ7000 I bought and thought I would check out the guys digging up
Charlies Gully on the TV show Aussie Gold Hunters.
Not much going on as there has been heaps of rain.
I hope they don't dig up the German Gully further down the lead as it is I believe of historical significance and important to the towns tourist appeal.
My 2 bobs.

GT :/
1563104314_charlies_gully.jpg

1563104314_charlies_gully2.jpg

If they own the land and the mining rights it's fair they get to dig what ever they want in my opinion regardless of the historical significance. Historical significance of dirt in the form of mullock heaps can be reinstated after they've finished their job that they have paid a premium for the right to do it.

I won't go on like I want to :mad: I'll definitely find myself in trouble if I do.

RM Outback said:
If they own the land and the mining rights it's fair they get to dig what ever they want in my opinion regardless of the historical significance. Historical significance of dirt in the form of mullock heaps can be reinstated after they've finished their job that they have paid a premium for the right to do it.

I won't go on like I want to :mad: I'll definitely find myself in trouble if I do.

That german gully lead is significant. There isn't another like it in the area.
I agree on their rights but in this case for the good of what I mentioned it should be preserved at least in part.
And by the way let rip mate I for one would love to see you froth at the mouth. Don't hold back it will be good to read ha ha.

GT :)

What makes it any more historically significant to any other diggings in Vic? If its historically significant enough not to push and detect then its also historically significant enough not to detect at all. Then the snowball starts rolling through Vic. All ready has actually.

1563150297_gergully-sign.jpg

Assume from the sign that at least part of the German Gully diggings is possibly under heritage protection which would restrict or prevent mining there?
While it's an old area of gold diggings (1854) it's not the oldest diggings in Victoria or even the oldest German Gully diggings (Fryerstown 1852 & McIvor-Heathcote 1853).
I agree some of these sites need to be preserved not all (& I believe there are a number of historically significant sites already protected in Victoria) but I'm also not against re-mining these areas if it's done to their lease conditions.

madtuna said:
What makes it any more historically significant to any other diggings in Vic? If its historically significant enough not to push and detect then its also historically significant enough not to detect at all. Then the snowball starts rolling through Vic. All ready has actually.

Steve its significant because it was one on the main leads that started Dunolly being as important as it became.
1,000's of prospectors visit Dunolly each year and to visit these diggings and imagine the 30,000 people living and working here is significant in my book and some of it should be preserved. The lead goes for a couple Kms and the German Gully sign is at the town end.
The area looks like a world war one battlefield and shows a good example of the small size of each miners digs. From the air its amazing.

GT :sunny:

Latest posts