Charger

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunollyman

stephen
Reaction score
Im ment to be going away in 2 days, I seem to have left my charger at our camp in central vic....... and we are traveling in the other direction looking at the 12v chargers is it possible to make your own? No gold shops along the way and no time to order one ?

Yes but no.

A quick look at my GPX4500 mains charger suggests it's simply a 24V 1A PSU and the clever stuff for charging the lithium battery is done by the battery's embedded electronics.

HOWEVER:
It would be necessary to dismantle the plug and ensure there were only two leads and identify which pins they connected to. Additionally you'll need the five pin plug to make the battery connection. And it'll be an expensive mistake if you get anything wrong.

Maybe call one or two of the detector shops to see if they have a car charger in stock and will take payment over the phone and post it out to you express post? Or have it posted post restante to the Mildura main post office?

Good luck.

Located Mildura you should be able to get express overnight ..................... any shop in a major location should be able to do it. Could save a lot of heart ache as has been mentioned :(

Easy enough made up (& cheaply) if you have the right gear on hand. Multimeter, soldering iron, heat shrink, 12-24VDC plug, 5 pin connector. If you're making your own gear always double check with a multimeter before connecting anything & the risk is all yours :D
Pretty sure that the charger/battery charge circuit is wired positive to pin 5 & negative pin 4. Someone could easily check theirs with a mulitmeter to be 100% sure without dismantling anything (I don't have one on hand or I would have). Also double check voltage output is 12v (or 24v if using that) & there is no step down from the plug i.e. 12-24v to 8.4v.

1510616831_1397605025_image.jpg

Above is the pin out for the power cable (detector to battery). It says Pin 5 isn't used which is true on the power cable but from what I can gather it is used for the power into the battery on the charging circuit (easily verified with multimeter on intact 12v charger).
Your biggest issue would probably be sourcing the 5 pin connectors locally.

Lesson learned
Took the battery to a local electrics guy, told me he could make a new charger port to plug into 12v asked how much, reply was not to much at all.... sweet...told me to come In the next day as he would have it ready for me :)
Got the call to pick it up $142 WTF?????
The correct 12v charger online $32
Travelled over 4 days up to QLD to detect along the way, pissed down the whole time

Latest posts