Central west wanna be

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie3775

Eddie
Reaction score
Not even new. I want to get into detecting. Have never done anything to do fossicking or prospecting. So many questions.

What machine? Any laws? Can I go into National parks? How do I cash my finds (if any)? :/

Welcome to the mad house Eddie ;)
The short answer to your questions are....
How much money you want to spend
Yes depends what state your in
NO
Wait until you find something substantial
This forum is a wealth of information. Just use the search icon
top left of the page. There are many posts and topics to answer
all your questions and if not just ask and there are some
very experienced and helpful people here to help
There is also Google and YouTube

Just a warning. Gold fever is very contagious
I've got it bad :lol: :lol:

Good luck mate
Cheers Banjo

Eddie you will not be guided to members favourite spots-a big part of his game is research.A lot of us have day jobs etc. and can't spend the time like me Modding the forum.
It feels great if the research you have done pays off.

Not wanting anyone's spots. I've found a dry creek that looks good even just for the walk. Taking a detector could make the walk more interesting. ;)

I like your antenna on the top of your head , is it gps or uhf :playful:
Welcome :D plenty of useful topics here to get you going , just ask silly questions and use the search icon to research.

1st get a miners right (license), can get them online
next get yourself the Doug Stone gold map book for NSW, it will at least put you in the right areas
Good luck!
1640802241_miners-right1.jpg

1640801945_doug_nsw_gold.jpg

1640802309_workhorse_20925__64042.1411936938.460.500.jpg

If you are going to be gold detecting in NSW you don't need a Miners Right - NSW don't have them. If you are wanting to go into NSW State Forests you will need a Fossicking Permit available here: https://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visit/activities/fossicking
Please read the NSW Fossicking Guidelines as plenty of areas are being permanently shutdown or fossicking activities heavily restricted due to compliance & other issues. The latest information is here: https://www.resourcesregulator.nsw.gov.au/rehabilitation/fossicking-nsw
As previously said the majority of NSW National Parks (including State Conservation Areas, Nature Reserves, Karst Conservation Areas etc. are off limits to detecting without a NSW NPWS permit - never heard of one being issued yet).
If your unsure of any land it should be treated as private land until you can properly establish otherwise. For Crown Land contact NSW Crown Lands to find out if prospecting/fossicking is allowed:
General enquiries
Phone: 1300 886 235 (Australia wide)
[email protected]
www.industry.nsw.gov.au/lands

With the Vanquish 540 it has no adjustable ground balance so won't be ideal in a lot of gold areas - look for creek beds, mullock heaps & mild ground areas to try. Pipeclay on mullock can be a good indicator that you're in an area worth trying.
I'd assume field mode may be best & adjusting sensitivity down to suit. Some iron bias may eliminate iron mineral signals too but may also eliminate gold signals so would need some testing out. It may also be worth trying beach mode out in noisy areas?
Not sure how sensitive the supplied 12x9 coil is but with the Equinox most people using it for gold have better success with the smaller 6" coil (unsure on Vanquish availability?).

If detecting in local parks etc. it's always a good idea to establish whether it's allowed or not - some Councils don't allow it in their parks or other areas.
Good, clean recovery is a must in parks & there are some good tips on the forum + YouTube on good technique.

Latest posts