Central Victorian Goldfields Geology

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am wondering if any members have some good local knowledge on the geology in an around the Talbot, Amherst areas in Victoria. I am investigating different sites to do a doze & detect (buying the land @ doze n detect licence).

The surface is amazing looking ground, but when we dig down we find the decomposed stained quartz material is only about 400 mm deep. Below that is 3m plus of either red or white pipe clay with almost no rock. Sometimes we strike a small band of decomposed reef material below thus. The areas we are in are covered with old workings. We have not hit bedrock.

I am confused about why the surface material of decomposed reef would only be very shallow. Also, if the small bands of quartz material we strike at 3m depth are wash material, then it has not travelled far as it is all very jagged, no pebbles, just like the surface. When we look at the vast tailings piles there is a vast amount of quartz in it. Where they got this from I don't know.

Is the deep layer actually a wash, or decomposed reef just layered? Maybe the old boys were digging further than us and struck a wider band of pay material?

If anyone has LOCAL knowledge I'd really appreciate a comment.

WestOstrich!

WestOstrich! said:
Hi all, I am wondering if any members have some good local knowledge on the geology in an around the Talbot, Amherst areas in Victoria. I am investigating different sites to do a doze & detect (buying the land @ doze n detect licence).

The surface is amazing looking ground, but when we dig down we find the decomposed stained quartz material is only about 400 mm deep. Below that is 3m plus of either red or white pipe clay with almost no rock. Sometimes we strike a small band of decomposed reef material below thus. The areas we are in are covered with old workings. We have not hit bedrock.

I am confused about why the surface material of decomposed reef would only be very shallow. Also, if the small bands of quartz material we strike at 3m depth are wash material, then it has not travelled far as it is all very jagged, no pebbles, just like the surface. When we look at the vast tailings piles there is a vast amount of quartz in it. Where they got this from I don't know.

Is the deep layer actually a wash, or decomposed reef just layered? Maybe the old boys were digging further than us and struck a wider band of pay material?

If anyone has LOCAL knowledge I'd really appreciate a comment.

WestOstrich!
Hi WestOstrich,
A friend of mine has 27acres of alluvial ground for sale at Talbot. The block is an ideal prospect for what you are wanting to do.
I think it is still for sale. He was going to Doze a detect however never got around to it. He is well known and respected in the prospecting community so any business dealings would be sound.
I can put you intouch with him if you're interested?
PM me and I will send you his phone number.
As far as the ground out there, I'm not sure of the geology. It is best to see it up close and personal.
Cheers Ryan

Some info on stringer zones. not very wide as can be seen.

1410345679_a1.png

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated, cheers.

Ryan27 if your friend still has the land I would be keen to get in touch with him. I can't pm as I'm a newbie, but you could email his number to me at

Cheers

Latest posts