Cant login to Thomas Dankowski forum.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will find more people interested in the Impact and comparing it to other VLF,s on the Thomas Dankowski Forum. Nasa Tom seems to have rated it as the best available under $2000. I wanted to inform him about the Impact.s high stability in Victoria,s Golden Triangle and its general high stability in very highly mineralised ground but am unable to do so.They are all ignorant of this fact simply because where they use it the ground is not highly mineralised. The site has not enough carrying capacity for users and members find it unusable once they have logged on or are only able to log on 10% of the time.
If the Impact can handle Victoria it will easily handle WA as the ground over there is milder.
PI,s have problems too in very high mineralisation so they are not ahead of the Impact in that respect. I have personally heard how noisy they are in the GT over my headphones.

oldtimerROB said:
Unfortunately I can,t put in all the hours needed to find gold due to my painful knee and back but I am trying

Hi Rob, just an observation as I often see your posts claiming how great the Impact is in the Vic gold fields, I'm not going to knock the Impact as I've never seen or used one in real life.
It's hard to preach to people how great a detector is just because it handles the high mineralized ground in the GT, my Makro GR does as well when I tweek the settings but unless you are going to show pics of all the gold you've found with it then to people like me it's just another VLF (albeit a good one) that struggles to find actual good gold in the gold fields compared to PI detectors, there's no use sprouting that it detects a squashed drink can at depth because people aren't interested in finding drink cans at depth, they want to find gold, coins or decent relics and the Impact is just one of many capable detectors to do so in the right environment.

I wanted a good 'general purpose' vlf detector about 6 months ago to leave in my work van and seriously thought about the Impact as it looked great but the weight was an issue (for me) so held off, now that the Equinox has come to light it ticks all the boxes for a good general purpose multi freq detector and the weight is the big winner (for me) so next year I hope to purchase one. I'm not suggesting we compare the Impact to the Equinox.

I think it's great you are still getting out there having a go and learning a new detector and I really hope you find a big nugget(s) soon but there's no point flogging how good this detector is in the GT if you haven't found good gold to prove it.

I could continue on using my Makro GR in the Vic GT, which is a proven gold finder (not by me) until I succeed in finding gold, or use it where it would be better served (mild ground) and invest what time I do get to go detecting in the GT with a proven gold finder in the Vic GT.
I have osteo in my shoulders which are painful enough for everyday living and my knee's lock up when kneeling down too long but I have a new GPX 4500 coming in the next few weeks because it's my best chance of finding decent gold in the Vic GT. I admit I'm a bit younger than you but still struggle detecting (when I get the chance) so for me it's a case of deciding to invest into a detector that will give me best chance of return for time and money invested to find gold in high mineralized ground.

I'm not having a go at you Rob but merely pointing out that pictures speak 1000 words, the more you post about how great the Impact is in the GT without the pic's to back it up, the less Impact the post's will have, when users start posting photo's of their finds for the Impact (or any other detector for that matter) then people start to take an interest in it.

Cheers Rob and good luck out there, I'm sure you'll find plenty with the Impact the more time you spend with it, if other's aren't interested in finding out what you already know about it then it's their and my loss and more good fortune to you :Y:

ProspectorPete. Thanks Pete for your comments.Firstly may I say I was up against a brick wall and some negative comments/hate speech even when I first posted my findings on the Impact in the Havelock goldfield back in May this year.I never claimed it was great,but only tried to give a true assessment of its performance on our goldfields. So any further information about how good it may be it will not make any difference to my situation.I got sick of members running down VLF machines because they are useless in the GT due to our harsh ground.So when I posted my findings on the Impact I got stonewalled Typical.I have however noticed a slight easing in the tension since Nenad from Phase Tech confirmed the Impact as the best VLF detector for goldfields due to its high stability in very high mineralisation.
I was going to buy the FORS Gold+ initially but when I saw the front menu screen on the Racer I knew I just had to have something similar.
I am not here to post photos of gold nuggets because due to my disabilities I cannot put in the hours in the field in order to be successful in finding them.But I will be certainly happy to do so if I get lucky. I have already found my fair share of decent nuggets back in the early 1980,s and I am quiet content to potter around the GT camping and finding bits of memorabilia from the gold rushes.I am finding camping/detecting is a healthy alternative to living in a retirement village as I don't like crowds of people.The absolute peace and tranquility you find in certain areas in the goldfields is worth more than gold.
I don,t know anything about the Equinox but I saw a post this morning on Detector/Prospector comparing them as similar,but the Equinox won,t be out for another 6/12 months.
The Impact is a bit heavy so you probably made the right decision.I found it weighty at first but after two outings my arm stopped aching.It feels light now.It is one of a very few which will not become nose heavy when fitting a 40 cm. coil onto it due to its back housing.My only criticism is that it is not waterproof.
I think the Impact,s main drawcard for gold prospecting is its DEEP mode.I have found how to set the tone break setting to prospect for gold and mask ferrous objects.The default settings are not suitable masking iron but hot rocks give a low or broken tone.The all metal mode is more suited for looking for smaller more shallow gold.The Impact is a niche detector for enthusiasts wanting a sophisticated and versatile unit which gives more bang for your buck.It is a very satisfying detector and I never get sick of it.
My sentiments exactly.I was only trying to help people.Thanks for your well wishes and lots of luck with your new GPX and happy hunting.
P.S.I will let you know if you are interested how the treatment on my arthritic knee goes at a Russian sanitorium in Sochi.It is very cheap and effective.

oldtimerROB said:
I am not here to post photos of gold nuggets because due to my disabilities I cannot put in the hours in the field in order to be successful in finding them.But I will be certainly happy to do so if I get lucky. I have already found my fair share of decent nuggets back in the early 1980,s and I am quiet content to potter around the GT camping and finding bits of memorabilia from the gold rushes.I am finding camping/detecting is a healthy alternative to living in a retirement village as I don't like crowds of people.The absolute peace and tranquility you find in certain areas in the goldfields is worth more than gold.

I fully understand your situation Rob and share your feelings about being out in the bush, I also dislike crowded areas and prefer to camp in seclusion where I won't bother others or visa versa, I'd spend every weekend out in the bush if I could, whether I find anything or even switch the detector on doesn't matter, I just love the peace and quiet of being out.

oldtimerROB said:
My sentiments exactly.I was only trying to help people.Thanks for your well wishes and lots of luck with your new GPX and happy hunting.
P.S.I will let you know if you are interested how the treatment on my arthritic knee goes at a Russian sanitorium in Sochi.It is very cheap and effective.

Much appreciated Rob and interested to know how your knee goes, I'm only 48 yo and almost gave up my trade a couple of months back due the the pain in my shoulders, had 9 weeks break doing nothing and they felt much better so back at work and working through the pain again.

Take care and all the best with the Impact, love to see some photo's of the finds no doubt you'll get in the coming week's/months :Y:

Hi Pete,I really need to get out and do the exercise in the peace and quiet,clean air. I had a mild heart attack 5 years ago just after digging into a hard mullock heap near the house.They fixed me up like new after the priest gave me the last rites just in case.He asked me if I was frightened and I said why? it is my only hope from lying in a hospital bed receiving two injections in the stomach every day.My near brush with death taught me to be bold and grab every opportunity for happiness we are given in life. I subsequently married a German aristocrat whose family was invited by the Russian Czar to serve as generals in the army. Who thought a heart attack would lead to that? We are going back to live in our log house we built in the forest over there next year and taking the Impact to detect the many river and lake beaches which have never been searched by detectors. I will keep in touch and send you photos of our finds.All the very best and take care,Rob. :Y:

That's awesome Rob, make the most of it and enjoy as much as you can. Keep us updated on how it all goes and I sincerely hope you find plenty over there next year.
Cheers, Pete.