Can you recommend a motorbike to me ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you recommend a motorbike to me ?

I have not had a new dirt-bike for a LONG time.

So I would like to get some advise on which bike may suit my needs.

- Get around locally a bit on the roads
- Get out to the country, for personal get aways
- Take it to the bush for detecting, exploring and occasional overnight camp
- Enough ability to travel distances at highway speeds
- Reliable
- Easy spare parts access
- Engine capacity to do the above and maybe have a pillion passenger.
- reasonable power
- reasonable economy

All opinions are welcome
Please provide pics of the motor-bikes you suggest if you can.

:)

Stick with a 4 stroke mate, way less maintenance.

I second a DR650. Not much has changed with them over the years, very reliable, plenty of upgrades available if thats your thing and they ride quite well. Buddy recently rode around Oz on one and said he would not hesitate doing it again on the very same bike. Never mist a beat, only had to change oil and tyres. Strongly suggest you place a DR650 in your short list.
1626869244_dr650.jpg

Then if your budget is a little more flexible, check the Husqvarna 701 out. They come up pretty slick with a few after market mods or extras. I'm keen on one myself!
1626867748_701.jpg

Both of these bikes are single cylinders and will very easily cruise at 110kph all day, and more!

You'll end up with insects on ya teeth on the way home if ya find gold :lol:

Jethro, I have not placed a budget on this, I hope to have suggestions and advice.

True that there will be choices at all price ranges, it my job to check it all out and decide.

However, I am looking at new rather than secondhand, warranty and not hand me down problems, is more important to me,
a few $K cheaper is not always the better choice.

Also 4 stroke is definitely what I want.

;)

BigL said:
Stick with a 4 stroke mate, way less maintenance.

I second a DR650. Not much has changed with them over the years, very reliable, plenty of upgrades available if thats your thing and they ride quite well. Buddy recently rode around Oz on one and said he would not hesitate doing it again on the very same bike. Never mist a beat, only had to change oil and tyres. Strongly suggest you place a DR650 in your short list.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12139/1626869244_dr650.jpg

Then if your budget is a little more flexible, check the Husqvarna 701 out. They come up pretty slick with a few after market mods or extras. I'm keen on one myself!
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12139/1626867748_701.jpg

Both of these bikes are single cylinders and will very easily cruise at 110kph all day, and more!

You'll end up with insects on ya teeth on the way home if ya find gold :lol:

That would be the greatest fun, turning up home with a mouth full of grasshoppers ! :playful:

Better than turning up at home covered in so much mud that Mum hosed me off on the front lawn, while I was sitting on my PE 175.
Then she let me go down the driveway :lol:
Ahh... to be young again.

The tyres on that DR are on opposite to each other, think it was intentional ?

seeing that you are going for a new bike i would ring a few bike shops and see what they have and let them know you will be buying new and im sure they will book you in for some test riding on a few different bikes. :Y:

Adrian ss said:
This one is ok and will get you from A to B in a hurry so long as B is a 1/4 mile from A. :D

Norton V4 RR

Claimed peak power: 200bhp

Estimated dry weight: 179kg

Power/weight: 1.117bhp/kg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...6779_v-rod-destroyer-vrxse-screamin-eagle.jpg

Otherwise this one is fine....Dunno where you would put yer tecta but. :p

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/14143/1626907482_2006-vrscse2..jpg

V ROD...... Harley with a porsche designed engine.

Seems there is a lot of support for the DR's

Is that because of - ??

price
popularity
budget
lack of choices
reliability
value
parts cost
handling

It really seems to be between Euro bikes and the DR's.

Oh, yeah, I think I am a bit past paddock blasting now :)

(maybe)

Good comfortable ergonomics. Bullet proof motor. Light enough to play with but still cruise on the black top. Good price compared to the Euro stuff. Parts availability.
Where do I stop.
Rob.

Greenhornet, your list of pre requisites doesnt mention comfort in the saddle.
It would be high on my list.
Id be doing a sit and see test as some of these off roaders need looong legs and their seating is rather spartan.

Latest posts